Wage and employment effects of a wage norm : The Polish transition experience
AbstractMost transition countries used tax-supported wage norms in the early 1990's, as a part of their market liberalization programs. This paper analyses how a firm-level tax (or subsidy) on deviations from a pre-set wage norm may promote employment by rotating the labor demand curve perceived by the workers' union around the value of the norm. We derive the conditions such that it yields a positive employment effect. We test the effect of the norm on the wages on a sample of Polish firms in 1990 and 1991. The data support the role of the wage norm on the position of the perceived labor demand and the role of the tax rate on its slope.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bank of Belgium in its series Working Paper Research with number 209.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Boulevard de Berlaimont 14, B-1000 Bruxelles
Phone: (+ 32) (0) 2 221 25 34
Fax: (+ 32) (0) 2 221 31 62
Web page: http://www.nbb.be
More information through EDIRC
transition economies; labor market; unions; excess wage tax; employment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J5 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining
- P31 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Socialist Enterprises and Their Transitions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2011-02-12 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2011-02-12 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2011-02-12 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aghion, P. & Blanchard, O.J., 1993.
"On the Speed of Transition in Central Europe,"
93-8, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Tito Boeri & Katherine Terrell, 2001.
"Institutional Determinants of Labor Reallocation in Transition,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
384, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Tito Boeri & Katherine Terrell, 2002. "Institutional Determinants of Labor Reallocation in Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 51-76, Winter.
- Micael Castanheira, 2003.
"Public finance and the optimal speed of transition,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 11(3), pages 435-462, 09.
- Micael Castanheira De Moura, 2003. "Public finance and the optimal speed of transition," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10007, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Castanheira, Micael, 2003. "Public Finance and the Optimal Speed of Transition," CEPR Discussion Papers 3797, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pinto, Brian & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1994.
"Ownership and corporate control in Poland : why state firms defied the odds,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1308, The World Bank.
- Pinto, Brian & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1995. "Ownership and Corporate Control in Poland: Why State Firms Defied the Odds," CEPR Discussion Papers 1273, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986.
"Hysteresis And The European Unemployment Problem,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1986, Volume 1, pages 15-90
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Lawrence H. Summers, 1987. "Hysteresis and the European Unemployment Problem," NBER Working Papers 1950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986. "Hysteresis and the European Unemployment Problem," Working papers 427, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Olivier Jean Blanchard, 1994. "On the Speed of Transition Central Europe," NBER Working Papers 4736, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jan Adam, 1974. "The System of Wage Regulation in Hungary," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 7(4), pages 578-93, November.
- Mathias Hungerb�hler & Etienne Lehmann & Alexis Parmentier & Bruno Van Der Linden, 2006.
"Optimal Redistributive Taxation in a Search Equilibrium Model,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 73(3), pages 743-767.
- Hungerbühler, Mathias & Lehmann, Etienne & Parmentier, Alexis & Van der Linden, Bruno, 2005. "Optimal Redistributive Taxation in a Search Equilibrium Model," IZA Discussion Papers 1460, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1984.
"Three Theorems on Inflation Taxes and Marginal Employment Subsidies,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(375), pages 599-611, September.
- Andrew Oswald, 1983. "Three Theorems on Inflation Taxes and Marginal Employment Subsidies," Working Papers 547, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Oswald, Andrew, 1982. "Three Theorems on Inflation Taxes and Marginal Employment Subsidies," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 220, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Laurence S. Seidman, 1978. "Tax-Based Incomes Policies," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 9(2), pages 301-361.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Lane, Timothy D, 1993. "Wage Controls during the Transition from Central Planning to a Market Economy," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 8(2), pages 195-210, July.
- Jean Hindriks & Gareth D. Myles, 2006. "Intermediate Public Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262083442, January.
- Swati Basu & Saul Estrin & Jan Svejnar, 1997. "Employment and wage behaviour of industrial enterprises in transition economies: The cases of Poland and Czechoslovakia," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 5(2), pages 271-287, November.
- Dewatripont, M & Roland, G, 1992. "Economic Reform and Dynamic Political Constraints," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(4), pages 703-30, October.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2004.
"The Economic Future of Europe,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 18(4), pages 3-26, Fall.
- Kotowitz, Yehuda & Portes, Richard, 1974. "The `tax on wage increases' : A theoretical analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 113-132, May.
- Lane Timothy D., 1994. "Wage Controls and Employment in Economies in Transition," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 171-187, October.
- André Sapir & Philippe Aghion & Giuseppe Bertola & Martin Hellwig & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Bernard Lange & José Viñals & Helen Wallace & Marco Buti & Mario Nava & Peter Smith, 2004.
"An agenda for a growing Europe: the Sapir report,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/8070, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- George A. Akerlof & Andrew K. Rose & Janet L. Yellen & Helga Hessenius, 1991. "East Germany in from the Cold: The Economic Aftermath of Currency Union," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 1-106.
- de Crombrugghe, Alain L & de Walque, Gregory, 1997. "Fiscal Norming of Wages to Promote Employment with Monopoly Unions," CEPR Discussion Papers 1766, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brian Pinto & Marek Belka & Stefan Krajewski, 1993. "Transforming State Enterprises in Poland: Evidence on Adjustment by Manufacturing Firms," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(1), pages 213-270.
- Rutkowski, Jan, 1994. " Wage Determination in Late Socialism: The Case of Poland," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 135-64.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.