The Endogeneity of Optimum Currency Areas Criteria in the Context of Financial Crisis: Evidence from Time-Frequency Domain Analysis
AbstractThe European integration process is theoretically supported by optimum currency area (OCA) theory which originates from debates about fixed versus flexible exchange rates, treating a common currency as the extreme case of a fixed exchange rate. The key issues of theoretical and empirical discussions in recent years are costs and benefits of adopting a common currency. We follow the hypothesis that historically greater integration provides more highly synchronized cycles. However, the commonly used methodological approaches overestimate cyclical co-movements between the time series during the financial crisis. Our contribution is in time series decomposition elimination trend included outliers appears in the years 2007-2010. Classification-JEL: F15, C14
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Mendel University in Brno, Faculty of Business and Economics in its series MENDELU Working Papers in Business and Economics with number 2012-31.
Date of creation: Oct 2012
Date of revision:
singular value decomposition; wavelet analysis; synchronization; euro area.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2012-10-27 (European Economics)
- NEP-MON-2012-10-27 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Messina, Julian & Strozzi, Chiara & Turunen, Jarkko, 2009.
"Real wages over the business cycle: OECD evidence from the time and frequency domains,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1183-1200, June.
- Messina, Julián & Strozzi, Chiara & Turunen, Jarkko, 2008. "Real Wages over the Business Cycle: OECD Evidence from the Time and Frequency Domains," IZA Discussion Papers 3884, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Julián Messina & Chiara Strozzi & Jarkko Turunen, 2008. "Real Wages over the Business Cycle: OECD Evidence from the Time and Frequency Domains," Center for Economic Research (RECent) 028, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics.
- Messina, Julián & Strozzi, Chiara & Turunen, Jarkko, 2009. "Real wages over the business cycle: OECD evidence from the time and frequency domains," Working Paper Series 1003, European Central Bank.
- Julian Messina & Chiara Strozzi & Jarkko Turunen, 2009. "Real Wages over the Business Cycle: OECD Evidence from the Time and Frequency Domains," Working Papers 2009-02, FEDEA.
- Rua, António, 2010.
"Measuring comovement in the time-frequency space,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 685-691, June.
- Don Harding & Adrian Pagan, 2006. "Measurement of Business Cycles," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 966, The University of Melbourne.
- Michael J. Artis & Jarko Fidrmuc & Johann Scharler, 2008. "The transmission of business cycles," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 16(3), pages 559-582, 07.
- Olivier Blanchard & Justin Wolfers, 1999.
"The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
7282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Wolfers, Justin, 2000. "The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C1-33, March.
- Zsolt Darvas & György Szapáry, 2006.
"Business Cycle Synchronization in the Enlarged EU,"
0604, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest.
- Korhonen, Iikka & Fidrmuc , Jarko, 2009.
"The impact of the global financial crisis on business cycles in Asian emerging economies,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
11/2009, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Korhonen, Iikka, 2010. "The impact of the global financial crisis on business cycles in Asian emerging economies," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 293-303, June.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Iikka Korhonen, 2009. "The Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on Business Cycles in Asian Emerging Economies," CESifo Working Paper Series 2710, CESifo Group Munich.
- Martin Gächter & Aleksandra Riedl & Doris Ritzberger-Grünwald, 2012. "Business Cycle Synchronization in the Euro Area and the Impact of the Financial Crisis," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 2, pages 33â60.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Iikka Korhonen, 2006.
"Meta-Analysis of the Business Cycle Correlation between the Euro Area and the CEECs,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1693, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Korhonen, Iikka, 2006. "Meta-analysis of the business cycle correlation between the euro area and the CEECs," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 518-537, September.
- Degiannakis, Stavros & Duffy, David & Filis, George, 2013. "Time-varying Business Cycles Synchronisation in Europe," MPRA Paper 52925, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Antonakakis, Nikolaos, 2012.
"Business cycle synchronization during US recessions since the beginning of the 1870s,"
Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 467-472.
- Antonakakis, Nikolaos, 2012. "Business cycle synchronization during US recessions since the beginning of the 1870's," MPRA Paper 38341, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nikolaos Antonakakis, 2012. "Business Cycle Synchronization During US Recessions Since the Beginning of the 1870's," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp140, Vienna University of Economics, Department of Economics.
- Aguiar-Conraria, LuIÂ´s & Joana Soares, Maria, 2011. "Business cycle synchronization and the Euro: A wavelet analysis," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 477-489, September.
- Jarko Fidrmuc, 2004.
"The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria, Intra-industry Trade, and EMU Enlargement,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(1), pages 1-12, 01.
- Jarko Fidrmuc, 2001. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria, Intraindustry Trade, and EMU Enlargement," LICOS Discussion Papers 10601, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luděk Kouba).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.