Strategic and Welfare Implications of Bundling
AbstractA standard oligopoly model of bundling shows that bundling by a firm with a monopoly over one product has a strategic effect because it changes the substitution relationships between the goods among which consumers choose. Bundling in appropriate proportions is privately profitable, reduces rivals´ profits and overall welfare, and may drive rivals from the market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics in its series CIE Discussion Papers with number 1998-14.
Length: 7 pages
Date of creation: Sep 1998
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in: Economics Letters. March 1999, 62(3) pp 371-76
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (0045) 35 32 30 54
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk/cie/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- L12 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Monopoly; Monopolization Strategies
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adams, William James & Yellen, Janet L, 1976. "Commodity Bundling and the Burden of Monopoly," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(3), pages 475-98, August.
- Spence, Michael, 1976. "Product Differentiation and Welfare," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 407-14, May.
- Margaret E. Slade, 1998. "The Leverage Theory of Tying Revisited: Evidence from Newspaper Advertising," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(2), pages 204-222, October.
- Hinloopen, Jeroen & Müller, Wieland & Normann, Hans-Theo, 2013.
"Output commitment through product bundling: Experimental evidence,"
DICE Discussion Papers
116, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Hinloopen, Jeroen & Müller, Wieland & Normann, Hans-Theo, 2014. "Output commitment through product bundling: Experimental evidence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 65(C), pages 164-180.
- Jeroen Hinloopen & Wieland Müller & Hans-Theo Normann, 2011. "Output Commitment through Product Bundling: Experimental Evidence," Vienna Economics Papers 1112, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Jeroen Hinloopen & Wieland Mueller & Hans-Theo Normann, 2011. "Output Commitment through Product Bundling: Experimental Evidence," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-170/1, Tinbergen Institute, revised 14 Jul 2013.
- Andrea Mantovani, 2013.
"The Strategic Effect of Bundling: A New Perspective,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 25-43, February.
- A. Mantovani, 2010. "The strategic effect of bundling: a new perspective," Working Papers 705, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Alain Egli, 2007. "On Stability in Competition: Tying and Horizontal Product Differentiation," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 29-38, February.
- Vaubourg, Anne-Gael, 2006. "Differentiation and discrimination in a duopoly with two bundles," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 753-762, July.
- Orbay, Hakan, 2009. "Computing Cournot equilibrium through maximization over prices," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 71-73, October.
- Akifumi Ishihara & Noriyuki Yanagawa, 2013. "Dark Sides of Patent Pools with Compulsory Independent Licensing," CARF F-Series CARF-F-318, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Oilver Budzinski & Katharina Wacker, 2007.
"The Prohibition of the Proposed Springer-ProSiebenSat.1-Merger: How much Economics in German Merger Control?,"
Marburg Working Papers on Economics
200704, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Budzinski, Oliver & Wacker, Katharina, 2007. "The prohibition of the proposed Springer-ProSiebenSat.1-Merger: how much economics in German merger control?," IBES DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 160, University of Duisburg-Essen, Faculty for Economics and Business Administration.
- A. Mantovani & J. Vandekerckhove, 2012.
"The strategic interplay between bundling and merging in complementary markets,"
wp814, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Andrea Mantovani & Jan Vandekerckhove, 2012. "The strategic interplay between bundling and merging in complementary markets," Working Papers 2012/10, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Daniel Flores Curiel, 2010. "La regulación del tamaño de los lotes habitacionales: un modelo de discriminación de precios," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 25(2), pages 407-424.
- Cooper, James C. & Froeb, Luke M. & O'Brien, Dan & Vita, Michael G., 2005. "Vertical antitrust policy as a problem of inference," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(7-8), pages 639-664, September.
- Yue, Xiaohang & Mukhopadhyay, Samar K. & Zhu, Xiaowei, 2006. "A Bertrand model of pricing of complementary goods under information asymmetry," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(10-11), pages 1182-1192, October.
- Mukhopadhyay, Samar K. & Yue, Xiaohang & Zhu, Xiaowei, 2011. "A Stackelberg model of pricing of complementary goods under information asymmetry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 424-433, December.
- Wei, Jie & Zhao, Jing & Li, Yongjian, 2013. "Pricing decisions for complementary products with firms’ different market powers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 224(3), pages 507-519.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.