European Banking Distress and EMU: Institutional and Macroeconomic Risks
AbstractFinancial stability in Europe has received renewed attention with the advent of a common currency, wave of mergers and acquisitions among financial institutions, and greater market competition (e.g. ECB, 1999; IMF, 1999; OECD, 1999). This paper examines whether EU country banking systems are particularly vulnerable to systemic risk at present. Our approach is to examine episodes of banking sector distress for a large sample of countries, highlighting the experience of the EU. We estimate multivariate probit models linking the likelihood of banking problems to a set of macroeconomic variables and institutional characteristics. Institutional characteristics, made available by a new data set on corporate governance in the financial sector not previously used in this type of analysis, include aspects of bank supervision and regulation, restrictions on bank portfolios, and development of the banking system. Given these characteristics, the model predicts a low probability of banking sector distress in EMU countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics in its series EPRU Working Paper Series with number 00-04.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (+45) 3532 4411
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk/epru/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Hutchison, Michael M, 2002. " European Banking Distress and EMU: Institutional and Macroeconomic Risks," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 104(3), pages 365-89, September.
- NEP-ALL-2003-05-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2003-05-08 (European Economics)
- NEP-IFN-2003-05-08 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2003-05-08 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MFD-2003-05-08 (Microfinance)
- NEP-RMG-2003-05-08 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jokipii , Terhi & Lucey, Brian, 2006.
"Contagion and interdependence: measuring CEE banking sector co-movements,"
Research Discussion Papers
15/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Jokipii, Terhi & Lucey, Brian, 2007. "Contagion and interdependence: Measuring CEE banking sector co-movements," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 71-96, March.
- Bems, Rudolfs & Jönsson Hartelius, Kristian, 2003.
"Trade Deficits in the Baltic States: How Long Will the Party Last?,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
0543, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 05 Aug 2003.
- Rudolfs Bems & Kristian Jönsson Hartelius, 2006. "Trade Deficits in the Baltic States: How Long Will the Party Last?," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 9(1), pages 179-209, January.
- Bems, Rudolfs & Jönsson, Kristian, 2005. "Trade Deficits in the Baltic States: How Long Will the Party Last?," Working Paper Series 186, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Christian Calmès & Raymond Théoret, 2012. "Bank systemic risk and the business cycle: Canadian and U.S. evidence," RePAd Working Paper Series UQO-DSA-wp022012, Département des sciences administratives, UQO.
- Christian Calmès & Raymond Théoret, 2011. "Bank systemic risk and the business cycle: An empirical investigation using Canadian data," RePAd Working Paper Series UQO-DSA-wp322011, Département des sciences administratives, UQO.
- Edward J. Kane, 2005.
"Can the European Community Afford to Neglect the Need for More Accountable Safety-Net Management?,"
NBER Working Papers
11860, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward Kane, 2006. "Can the European Community Afford to Neglect the Need for More Accountable Safety-Net Management?," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 34(2), pages 127-144, June.
- Tao Sun, 2011. "Identifying Vulnerabilities in Systemically-Important Financial Institutions in a Macro-financial Linkages Framework," IMF Working Papers 11/111, International Monetary Fund.
- SÃ²nia MuÃ±oz & Ryan Scuzzarella & Martin CihÃ¡k, 2011. "The Bright and the Dark Side of Cross-Border Banking Linkages," IMF Working Papers 11/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Julian Caballero, 2012. "Do Surges in International Capital Inflows Influence the Likelihood of Banking Crises? Cross-Country Evidence on Bonanzas in Capital Inflows and Bonanza-Boom- Bust Cycles," Research Department Publications 4775, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.