How Does Industry Specialization Affect the Efficiency of Regional Innovation Systems?
AbstractThis study analyzes the relationship between the specialization of a region in certain industries and the efficiency of the region in generating new knowledge. The efficiency measure is constructed by relating regional R&D input and output. An inversely u-shaped relationship is found between regional specialization and R&D efficiency, indicating the presence of externalities of both Marshall and Jacobs’ type. Further factors influencing efficiency are spillovers within the private sector as well as from public research institutions. The impact of both the specialization and the additional factors is, however, different for regions at different efficiency levels.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics in its series Jena Economic Research Papers with number 2008-058.
Date of creation: 17 Jul 2008
Date of revision:
Efficiency; innovation; spillovers; patents; regional analysis.;
Other versions of this item:
- Michael Fritsch & Viktor Slavtchev, 2010. "How does industry specialization affect the efficiency of regional innovation systems?," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 87-108, August.
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2008-07-30 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2008-07-30 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-GEO-2008-07-30 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INO-2008-07-30 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2008-07-30 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-KNM-2008-07-30 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-TID-2008-07-30 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
- NEP-URE-2008-07-30 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Helen McGuirk & Declan Jordan, 2011. "Local Labour Market Diversity and Business Innovation: Evidence from Irish Manufacturing Businesses," European Planning Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 20(12), pages 1945-1960, June.
- Michael Fritsch & Holger Graf, 2010. "How General Conditions Affect Regional Innovation Systems - The Case of the Two Germanys," Jena Economic Research Papers 2010-054, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Schimke, Antje & Teichert, Nina & Ott, Ingrid, 2012. "Impact of local knowledge endowment on employment growth in nanotechnology," Working Paper Series in Economics 38, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Department of Economics and Business Engineering.
- Christoph Hornych & Michael Schwartz, 2009.
"Industry concentration and regional innovative performance: empirical evidence for Eastern Germany,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 513-530.
- Christoph Hornych & Michael Schwartz, 2009. "Industry Concentration and Regional Innovative Performance – Empirical Evidence for Eastern Germany," IWH Discussion Papers 8, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Bernhard Dachs & Bernd Ebersberger, 2013. "The Effects of Production Offshoring on R&D and Innovation in the Home Country," FIW Research Reports series V-001, FIW.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Markus Pasche).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.