Industrial structure and innovation - evidence from European regions
AbstractWhether the composition of industrial activity influences innovation is the key question of this paper. The analysis is based on a model that integrates different kinds of diversity measures aiming at capturing Jacobs externalities, a production specialisation measure aiming at capturing Marshall-Arrow-Romer (MAR) externalities and regions as well as sector specific variables. Tested with an extended sample of 153 European regions and 16 manufacturing sectors, the estimates suggest that both kinds of externalities significantly influence innovation, although the influence of Jacobs externalities is more important in the context of “high density” regions as well as for high tech sectors. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Evolutionary Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (2004)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00191/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael Fritsch & Viktor Slavtchev, 2008.
"How Does Industry Specialization Affect the Efficiency of Regional Innovation Systems?,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2008-058, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Michael Fritsch & Viktor Slavtchev, 2010. "How does industry specialization affect the efficiency of regional innovation systems?," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 87-108, August.
- Michael Fritsch & Viktor Slavtchev, 2007. "What determines the efficiency of regional innovation systems?," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-006, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Valerien O. Pede & Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Henri L.F. de Groot, 2011. "Technological Leadership and Sectoral Employment Growth:A Spatial Econometric Analysis for U.S. Counties," Working Papers 11-1, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Kutsenko, E., 2012. "Path Dependence in Spatial Distribution of Economic Activity: Bad News for Empiric Research of Agglomeration Effects," Journal of the New Economic Association, New Economic Association, vol. 14(2), pages 10-26.
- Christ, Julian P., 2010.
"The geography and co-location of European technology-specific co-inventorship networks,"
FZID Discussion Papers
14-2010, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Christ, Julian P., 2009. "The geography and co-location of European technology-specific co-inventorship networks," Violette Reihe Arbeitspapiere 31/2010, Promotionsschwerpunkt "Globalisierung und Beschaeftigung".
- Michele Cincera, 2005.
"Firms' productivity growth and R&D spillovers: An analysis of alternative technological proximity measures,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(8), pages 657-682.
- Michele Cincera, 2005. "Firms' productivity growth and R&D spillovers: an analysis of alternative technological proximity measures," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/5490, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Cincera, Michele, 2005. "Firms' Productivity Growth and R&D Spillovers: An Analysis of Alternative Technological Proximity Measures," CEPR Discussion Papers 4894, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carbonara, Nunzia & Tavassoli, Sam, 2013.
"The Role of Knowledge Heterogeneity on the Innovative Capability of Industrial Districts,"
CSIR Working Paper Series
2012/10, Center for Strategic Innovation Research, Blekinge Institute of Technology.
- Carbonara , Nunzia & Tavassoli, Sam, 2013. "The Role of Knowledge Heterogeneity on the Innovative Capability of Industrial Districts," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2013/35, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Martin Woerter, 2009. "Industry diversity and its impact on the innovation performance of firms," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 19(5), pages 675-700, October.
- Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Rosina Moreno, 2009.
"Evidence On The Role Of Ownership Structure On Firms’ Innovative Performance,"
IREA Working Papers
200909, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Apr 2009.
- Ortega-Argilés , Raquel & Moreno, Rosina, 2009. "Evidence on the role of ownership structure on firms’ innovative performance," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 15, pages 231-250.
- Nunzia Carbonara & Ilaria Giannoccaro, 2011. "Geographical Cluster Heterogeneity and Competitive Advantage: evidence from Italy," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1414, European Regional Science Association.
- Fritsch, Michael & Slavtchev, Viktor, 2006.
"Universities and innovation in space,"
Freiberg Working Papers
2006,15, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Baltzopoulos, Apostolos, 2009. "Agglomeration Externalities and Entrepreneurship - micro-level evidence from Sweden," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 190, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.