Industrial structure and innovation - evidence from European regions
AbstractWhether the composition of industrial activity influences innovation is the key question of this paper. The analysis is based on a model that integrates different kinds of diversity measures aiming at capturing Jacobs externalities, a production specialisation measure aiming at capturing Marshall-Arrow-Romer (MAR) externalities and regions as well as sector specific variables. Tested with an extended sample of 153 European regions and 16 manufacturing sectors, the estimates suggest that both kinds of externalities significantly influence innovation, although the influence of Jacobs externalities is more important in the context of “high density” regions as well as for high tech sectors. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Evolutionary Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (2004)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00191/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Lydia Greunz, 2004. "Industrial structure and innovation - Evidence from European regions," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/169718, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Martin Woerter, 2009. "Industry diversity and its impact on the innovation performance of firms," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 19(5), pages 675-700, October.
- Ortega-Argilés , Raquel & Moreno, Rosina, 2009.
"Evidence on the role of ownership structure on firms’ innovative performance,"
Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 15, pages 231-250.
- Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Rosina Moreno, 2009. "Evidence On The Role Of Ownership Structure On Firms’ Innovative Performance," IREA Working Papers 200909, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Apr 2009.
- Christ, Julian P., 2009.
"The geography and co-location of European technology-specific co-inventorship networks,"
Violette Reihe Arbeitspapiere
31/2010, Promotionsschwerpunkt "Globalisierung und Beschaeftigung".
- Christ, Julian P., 2010. "The geography and co-location of European technology-specific co-inventorship networks," FZID Discussion Papers 14-2010, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Matthias Bürger, 2011. "Dynamics of Collaborative Invention Tracking Growth of Cooperative and Total Patents in the Region," Jena Economic Research Papers 2011-045, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Nunzia Carbonara & Ilaria Giannoccaro, 2011. "Geographical Cluster Heterogeneity and Competitive Advantage: evidence from Italy," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1414, European Regional Science Association.
- Valerien O. Pede & Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Henri L.F. de Groot, 2011. "Technological Leadership and Sectoral Employment Growth:A Spatial Econometric Analysis for U.S. Counties," Working Papers 11-1, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Fritsch, Michael & Slavtchev, Viktor, 2006.
"Universities and innovation in space,"
Freiberg Working Papers
2006,15, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Carbonara, Nunzia & Tavassoli, Sam, 2013.
"The Role of Knowledge Heterogeneity on the Innovative Capability of Industrial Districts,"
CITR Working Paper Series
2012/10, Center for Innovation and Technology Research, Blekinge Institute of Technology.
- Carbonara , Nunzia & Tavassoli, Sam, 2013. "The Role of Knowledge Heterogeneity on the Innovative Capability of Industrial Districts," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2013/35, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Michael Fritsch & Viktor Slavtchev, 2007. "What determines the efficiency of regional innovation systems?," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-006, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Michele Cincera, 2005.
"Firms' productivity growth and R&D spillovers: An analysis of alternative technological proximity measures,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(8), pages 657-682.
- Cincera, Michele, 2005. "Firms' Productivity Growth and R&D Spillovers: An Analysis of Alternative Technological Proximity Measures," CEPR Discussion Papers 4894, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michele Cincera, 2005. "Firms' productivity growth and R&D spillovers: an analysis of alternative technological proximity measures," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/5490, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Baltzopoulos, Apostolos, 2009. "Agglomeration Externalities and Entrepreneurship - micro-level evidence from Sweden," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 190, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Kutsenko, E., 2012. "Path Dependence in Spatial Distribution of Economic Activity: Bad News for Empiric Research of Agglomeration Effects," Journal of the New Economic Association, New Economic Association, vol. 14(2), pages 10-26.
- Michael Fritsch & Viktor Slavtchev, 2008.
"How Does Industry Specialization Affect the Efficiency of Regional Innovation Systems?,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2008-058, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Michael Fritsch & Viktor Slavtchev, 2010. "How does industry specialization affect the efficiency of regional innovation systems?," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 87-108, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.