Watering the Garden of Government Securities:Measuring the "Bunching" Effect in Euro Sovereign Bond Markets
AbstractThe adoption of a common currency raised the degree of substitution between financial instruments supplied by EU Member States to finance their national debts. In this framework, our paper looks at a particular determinant of liquidity-related spreads in euro-area government bonds. Simultaneous issuance of similar bonds floods the market with paper and could lead to higher funding costs for sovereign borrowers. We test the significance of this problem, over-supplying liquidity due to a bunching of contemporaneous issues, in a government bond market where borrowers do not coordinate their issuance plans. We find that there is a significant relationship between bunching in issues and higher yield spreads. Moreover, in line with the existing literature, we find a negative correlation between liquidity and bond yields.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance in its series Working Papers with number wp2008-5.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
EMU; government bond yields; liquidity; calendar of issuance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H63 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Debt; Debt Management; Sovereign Debt
- H69 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernoth, Kerstin & von Hagen, Jürgen & Schuknecht, Ludger, 2004.
"Sovereign risk premia in the European government bond market,"
Working Paper Series
0369, European Central Bank.
- Bernoth, Kerstin & von Hagen, Jürgen & Schuknecht, Ludger, 2003. "Sovereign risk premia in the European government bond market," ZEI Working Papers B 26-2003, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Missale, Alessandro, 1999. "Public Debt Management," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198290858, September.
- Biais, Bruno & Renucci, Antoine & Saint-Paul, Gilles, 2004. "Liquidity and the Cost of Funds in the European Treasury Market," IDEI Working Papers 285, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Poterba, James M. & Rueben, Kim S., 2001. "Fiscal News, State Budget Rules, and Tax-Exempt Bond Yields," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 537-562, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marina Sabatini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.