Choosing The Currency Structure Of Foreign‐Currency Debt: A Review Of Policy Approaches
AbstractStarting from the constraints and incentives that cause countries to issue debt in foreign currency, this paper provides an overview of policy approaches for choosing the optimal currency structure of sovereign foreign-currency debt. The objective of sovereign debt managers generally includes both risk and cost minimization, while constraints to foreign-currency debt allocation originate in the parameters of the domestic macroeconomy, the shocks it faces, and the initial conditions. Overall, the main parameters that drive the solutions for optimal currency allocation of foreign-currency debt are the covariances of macrovariables with exchange rates and the variances of different exchange rates. Both the covariances and the exchange rate volatility can be deceptive when a fixed exchange rate regime is maintained, however. To adequately capture the expected covariances in the context of managed exchange rate regimes, we suggest that sovereign debt managers work with equilibrium instead of actual exchange rates. For the same reason and because the estimates of relative exchange rate variances should be forward looking, we suggest using synchronization indicators in the policy analysis to better capture the underlying drivers of exchange rate volatility across currencies.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 24 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Other versions of this item:
- Melecky, Martin, 2010. "Choosing the Currency Structure of Foreign-currency Debt: a Review of Policy Approaches," MPRA Paper 21268, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- H63 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Debt; Debt Management; Sovereign Debt
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fernando A. Broner & Guido Lorenzoni & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2007.
"Why Do Emerging Economies Borrow Short Term?,"
NBER Working Papers
13076, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fernando Broner & Guido Lorenzoni & Sergio Schmuckler, 2006. "Why Do Emerging Economies Borrow Short Term?," 2006 Meeting Papers 841, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Fernando Broner & Guido Lorenzoni & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2003. "Why do emerging economies borrow short term?," Economics Working Papers 838, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Dec 2011.
- Broner, Fernando A & Lorenzoni, Guido & Schmukler, Sergio, 2007. "Why Do Emerging Economies Borrow Short Term?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6249, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Broner, Fernando A. & Lorenzoni, Guido & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2004. "Why do emerging economies borrow short term?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3389, The World Bank.
- Fernando Broner & Guido Lorenzoni & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2011. "Why Do Emerging Economies Borrow Short Term?," Working Papers 308, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Devereux, Michael B & Lane, Philip R., 2002.
"Understanding Bilateral Exchange Rate Volatility,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3518, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Devereux, M.B. & Lane, P.R., 2002. "Understanding Bilateral Exchange Rate Volatility," CEG Working Papers 20025, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Michael B. Devereux & Philip R. Lane, 2002. "Understanding Bilateral Exchange Rate Volatility," Trinity Economics Papers 200211, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- João A. C. Santos & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2003. "The cost of barriers to entry: evidence from the market for corporate euro bond underwriting," BIS Working Papers 134, Bank for International Settlements.
- Bohn, Henning, 1990. "Tax Smoothing with Financial Instruments," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1217-30, December.
- Philip Turner, 2002. "Bond markets in emerging economies: an overview of policy issues," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The development of bond markets in emerging economies, volume 11, pages 1-12 Bank for International Settlements.
- Alessandro Missale & Francesco Giavazzi, 2003.
"Public Debt Management in Brazil,"
Development Working Papers
178, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Rebecca L Driver & Peter F Westaway, 2005. "Concepts of equilibrium exchange rates," Bank of England working papers 248, Bank of England.
- World Bank, 2007. "Managing Public Debt : From Diagnostics to Reform Implementation," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6658, October.
- Alessandro Missale & Elisabetta Falcetti, .
"Public Debt Indexation and Denomination with and Indipendent Central Bank,"
169, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Falcetti, Elisabetta & Missale, Alessandro, 2002. "Public debt indexation and denomination with an independent central bank," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(10), pages 1825-1850, December.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1998.
"Exchange rate volatility and intervention: implications of the theory of optimum currency areas,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 191-209, August.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1998. "Exchange Rate Volatility and Intervention: Implications of the Theory of Optimum Currency Areas," CEPR Discussion Papers 1982, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Jamieson Bolder, 2003. "A Stochastic Simulation Framework for the Government of Canada's Debt Strategy," Working Papers 03-10, Bank of Canada.
- Henning Bohn, .
"A Positive Theory of Foreign Currency Debt,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
19-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Martin Melecky, 2010. "Currency Allocation of Public External Debt and Synchronization Indicators of Exchange Rate Volatility," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 52(1), pages 104-129, March.
- Missale, Alessandro, 1999. "Public Debt Management," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198290858.
- Hull, John C & White, Alan D, 1987. " The Pricing of Options on Assets with Stochastic Volatilities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 281-300, June.
- Thomas J. Sargent & Neil Wallace, 1981. "Some unpleasant monetarist arithmetic," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1982. "Issues in the Coordination of Monetary and Fiscal Policy," NBER Working Papers 0982, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Márcio Gomes Pinto Garcia & Roberto Rigobon, 2004.
"A Risk Management Approach to Emerging Market’s Sovereign Debt Sustainability with an Application to Brazilian Data,"
Textos para discussÃ£o
484, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Marcio Garcia & Roberto Rigobon, 2004. "A Risk Management Approach to Emerging Market's Sovereign Debt Sustainability with an Application to Brazilian Data," NBER Working Papers 10336, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- MacDonald, Ronald, 2000. "Concepts to Calculate Equilibrium Exchange Rates: An Overview," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2000,03, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- John D. Burger & Francis E. Warnock, 2006.
"Foreign Participation in Local Currency Bond Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
12548, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burger, John D. & Warnock, Francis E., 2007. "Foreign participation in local currency bond markets," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 291-304.
- John D. Burger & Francis E. Warnock, 2004. "Foreign participation in local-currency bond markets," International Finance Discussion Papers 794, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Ricardo Caballero & Kevin Cowan, 2006. "Financial Integration Without the Volatility," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 387, Central Bank of Chile.
- Stijn Claessens & Daniela Klingebiel & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2007. "Government Bonds in Domestic and Foreign Currency: the Role of Institutional and Macroeconomic Factors," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 370-413, 05.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Panizza, Ugo, 2003. "On the determinants of Original Sin: an empirical investigation," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 957-990, December.
- Maurizio Michael Habib & Mark Joy, 2010.
"Foreign-currency bonds: currency choice and the role of uncovered and covered interest parity,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(8), pages 601-626.
- Habib, Maurizio Michael & Joy, Mark, 2008. "Foreign-currency bonds: currency choice and the role of uncovered and covered interest parity," Working Paper Series 0947, European Central Bank.
- Charles Engel & Kenneth D. West, 2005.
"Exchange Rates and Fundamentals,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(3), pages 485-517, June.
- Alessandro MISSALE & Emanuele BACCHIOCCHI, 2005.
"Managing debt stability,"
Departmental Working Papers
2005-05, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Ilan Goldfajn, 1998. "Public Debt Indexation and Denomination," IMF Working Papers 98/18, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael T. Gapen & Dale F. Gray & Cheng Hoon Lim & Yingbin Xiao, 2005. "Measuring and Analyzing Sovereign Risk with Contingent Claims," IMF Working Papers 05/155, International Monetary Fund.
- Claessens, Stijn, 2005. "Taking stock of risk management techniques for sovereigns," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3570, The World Bank.
- Melecky, Martin, 2009. "The Effect of Institutions, Geography, Development Assistance and Debt Crises on Public-Debt Management," MPRA Paper 16332, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ricardo Hausmann & Ugo Panizza, 2003. "Currency Mismatches, Debt Intolerance and Original Sin: Why They Are Not the Same and Why it Matters," NBER Working Papers 10036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Meese, Richard A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1983. "Empirical exchange rate models of the seventies : Do they fit out of sample?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-2), pages 3-24, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.