Collateral Constraints in a Monetary Economy
AbstractThis paper studies the role of collateral constraints in transforming small monetary shocks into large persistent output fluctuations. We do this by introducing money in the heterogeneous-agent real economy of Kiyotaki and Moore (1997). Money enters in a cash-in-advance constraint and is injected via open-market operations. We find that a one-time exogenous monetary shock generates persistent movements in aggregate output, whose amplitude depends on whether or not debt contracts are contingent. If contingent contracts cannot be written, money shocks can trigger large output fluctuations. In this case a one time money expansion triggers a boom, while money contractions generate recessions. In contrast, if contracts are contingent amplification is not only smaller, but it can generate the reverse results. When the possibility of default and renegociation is considered, the model can generate asymmetric business cycles with recessions milder than booms. Finally, one-time shocks monetary shocks generate a highly persistent dampening cycle rather than a smoothly declining deviation.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 32123.
Date of creation: 16 Nov 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of the European Economic Association, December 2004, vol. 2 no. 6, pp. 1172-1205
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew B. Abel, 1986.
"Dynamic Behavior of Capital Accumulation in a Cash-in-Advance Model,"
NBER Working Papers
1549, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abel, Andrew B., 1985. "Dynamic behavior of capital accumulation in a cash-in-advance model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 55-71, July.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1989. "Agency Costs, Net Worth, and Business Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 14-31, March.
- Timothy S. Fuerst & Charles T. Carlstrom, 1998. "Agency costs and business cycles," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 583-597.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1998.
"The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework,"
NBER Working Papers
6455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1999. "The financial accelerator in a quantitative business cycle framework," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 21, pages 1341-1393 Elsevier.
- Fuerst, Timothy S, 1995.
"Monetary and Financial Interactions in the Business Cycle,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(4), pages 1321-38, November.
- Timothy S. Fuerst, 1994. "Monetary and financial interaction in the business cycle," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 1321-1353.
- Thomas Cooley & Vincenzo Quadrini, 2006. "Monetary policy and the financial decisions of firms," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 243-270, 01.
- Cooley, Thomas F. & Hansen, Gary D., 1998. "The role of monetary shocks in equilibrium business cycle theory: Three examples," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 605-617, May.
- Falk, Barry, 1986.
"Further Evidence on the Asymmetric Behavior of Economic Time Series over the Business Cycle,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1096-1109, October.
- Falk, Barry L., 1986. "Further Evidence on the Asymmetric Behavior of Economic Time Series over the Business Cycle," Staff General Research Papers 11097, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Narayana R. Kocherlakota, 2000. "Creating business cycles through credit constraints," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Sum, pages 2-10.
- Carlstrom, Charles T & Fuerst, Timothy S, 1997.
"Agency Costs, Net Worth, and Business Fluctuations: A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(5), pages 893-910, December.
- Ryo Kato, 2002. "Matlab code for the Carlstrom-Fuerst AER (1997) model," QM&RBC Codes 112, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Charles T. Carlstrom & Timothy S. Fuerst, 1996. "Agency costs, net worth, and business fluctuations: a computable general equilibrium analysis," Working Paper 9602, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Scheinkman, Jose A & Weiss, Laurence, 1986. "Borrowing Constraints and Aggregate Economic Activity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(1), pages 23-45, January.
- Patrick Pintus & Yi Wen, 2013.
"Leveraged Borrowing and Boom-Bust Cycles,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 16(4), pages 617-633, October.
- Anna Agliari & Tiziana Assenza & Domenico Delli Gatti & Emiliano Santoro, 2006.
"Credit Cycles in a OLG Economy with Money and Bequest,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2006
369, Society for Computational Economics.
- Agliari Anna & Assenza Tiziana & Delli Gatti Domenico & Santoro Emiliano, 2007. "Credit Cycles in a OLG Economy with Money and Bequest," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 103, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Agliari, A. & Assenza, T. & Delli Gatti, D. & Santoro, E., 2007. ""Credit Cycle" in an OLG Economy with Money and Bequest," CeNDEF Working Papers 07-04, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Assenza, Tiziana, 2007.
"Borrowing Constraints, Multiple Equilibria and Monetary Policy,"
4049, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Assenza, T., 2007. "Borrowing Constraints, Multiple Equilibria and Monetary Policy," CeNDEF Working Papers 07-05, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Assenza, Tiziana & Agliari, Anna & Delli Gatti, Domenico & Santoro, Emiliano, 2009. "Borrowing constraints and complex dynamics in an OLG framework," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 656-669, November.
- Haiping Zhang, 2005. "Speculation in Standard Auctions with Resale," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse11_2005, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Assenza, Tiziana & Delli Gatti, Domenico, 2013.
"E Pluribus Unum: Macroeconomic modelling for multi-agent economies,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1659-1682.
- Assenza, T. & Delli Gatti, D., 2012. "E Pluribus Unum: Macroeconomic Modelling for Multi-agent Economies," CeNDEF Working Papers 12-08, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Tiziana Assenza & Domenico Delli Gatti, 2012. "E Pluribus Unum: Macroeconomic Modelling for Multi-agent Economies," GREDEG Working Papers 2012-08, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Economie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis.
- Barbar, Riham & Bosi, Stefano, 2010. "Collaterals and macroeconomic volatility," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 146-161, September.
- Nan-Kuang Chen & Yu-Hsi Chou & Jyh-Lin Wu, 2013. "Credit Constraint and the Asymmetric Monetary Policy Effect on House Prices," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 431-455, October.
- Riham Barbar & Stefano Bosi, 2008. "Collaterals and Macroeconomic Volatility," Documents de recherche 08-15, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Jessica Roldan Pena & Virginia Olivella, 2010. "Re-examining the role of financial constraints in business cycles: is something wrong with the credit multiplier?," 2010 Meeting Papers 377, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.