Collaterals and Macroeconomic Volatility
AbstractIn this paper, we study the effects of collaterals on business cycles and growth in monetary economies with credit market imperfections. We consider an endogenous growth model with a partial cash-in-advance constraint and inelastic labor supply. We assume that the share of consumption purchases paid with credit depends positively on the collateral available to the agent. In this framework, we find that money is no longer superneutral in the long run and short-run fluctuations, either deterministic or stochastic, can arise. On the one side, the monetary policy can enhance the growth rate and welfare, on the other side, reduce the macroeconomic volatility. Second, the sensitivity to collaterals alters the effectiveness of monetary policy in terms of welfare and stability. Finally, indeterminacy becomes more likely as long as the credit market is less sensitive to collaterals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne in its series Documents de recherche with number 08-15.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
liquidity constraint; superneutrality; endogenous fluctuations;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D90 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - General
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cordoba, Juan & Ripoll, Marla, 2002.
"Collateral Constraints in a Monetary Economy,"
2002-02, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Stefano Bosi & Frédéric Dufourt & Francesco Magris, 2007.
"Animal spirits in cash-in-advance economies,"
Recherches économiques de Louvain,
De Boeck Université, vol. 73(2), pages 131-151.
- Stefano BOSI & Frédéric DUFOURT & Francesco MAGRIS, 2007. "Animal spirits in cash-in-advance economies," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2007021, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Mankiw, N Gregory & Romer, David & Weil, David N, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-37, May.
- Bosi, Stefano & Magris, Francesco, 2003. "Indeterminacy and endogenous fluctuations with arbitrarily small liquidity constraint," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 39-51, March.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Moore, John, 1997.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 211-48, April.
- Ryo Kato, 2003. "Matlab code for Kiyotaki-Moore credit cycles," QM&RBC Codes 113, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- John Moore & Nobuhiro Kiyotaki, . "Credit Cycles," Discussion Papers 1995-5, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & John Moore, 1995. "Credit Cycles," NBER Working Papers 5083, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1985. "Money and Asset Prices in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(5), pages 919-44, October.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1984.
"Money and Interest in Cash-In-Advance Economy,"
628, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hromcova, Jana, 2003. "Money and growth in a cash-in-advance economy with costly credit," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1113-1136, December.
- Stockman, Alan C., 1981. "Anticipated inflation and the capital stock in a cash in-advance economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 387-393.
- Ireland, Peter N, 1994. "Money and Growth: An Alternative Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 47-65, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Samuel Nosel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.