Collaterals and macroeconomic volatility
AbstractIn this paper, we study the effects of collaterals on business cycles and growth in monetary economies with credit market imperfections. We consider an endogenous growth model with a partial cash-in-advance constraint. It is assumed that the share of consumption purchases paid on credit depends positively on the collaterals available to the agent. In this case, money is no longer superneutral. We find that, under mild inflation rates, a higher money growth rate is welfare-improving and, surprisingly, it makes the occurrence of expectations-driven fluctuations less likely. The shape of credit share in consumption purchases, as outcome of regulatory policies, has anÂ impact on both welfare and stability. In particular, the higher the sensitivity of the credit share to collaterals, the more stable the economy under rational expectations. These analytical findings are complemented by economic interpretations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research in Economics.
Volume (Year): 64 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622941
Cash-in-advance Balanced growth Superneutrality Endogenous fluctuations;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cordoba, Juan & Ripoll, Marla, 2002.
"Collateral Constraints in a Monetary Economy,"
2002-02, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & John Moore, 1995.
NBER Working Papers
5083, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Gary D. Hansen, 1987.
"The Inflation Tax in a Real Business Cycle Model,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
496, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1988. "The Inflation Tax In A Real Business Cycle Model," RCER Working Papers 155, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1988. "The Inflation Tax In A Real Business Cycle Model," Papers 88-05, Rochester, Business - General.
- Stefano Bosi & Frederic Dufourt, 2008.
"Indeterminacy with constant money growth rules and income-based liquidity constraints,"
- Bosi, Stefano & Dufourt, Frédéric, 2008. "Indeterminacy with constant money growth rules and income-based liquidity constraints," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 57-63, June.
- Stefano Bosi & Frédéric Dufourt, 2005. "Indeterminacy with Constant Money Growth Rules and Income-Based Liquidity Constraints," Documents de recherche 05-22, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & R. Anton Braun & Zvi Eckstein, 1998.
"Transaction Services, Inflation, and Welfare,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(6), pages 1274-1301, December.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & R. Anton Braun & Zvi Eckstein, 1998. "Transaction services, inflation, and welfare," Staff Report 241, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Aiyagari, S.R. & Braum, T. & Eckstein, Z., 1995. "Transaction Services, Inflation and Welfare," Papers 27-95, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & R. Anton Braun & Zvi Eckstein, 1995. "Transaction services, inflation, and welfare," Working Papers 551, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Charles T. Carlstrom & Timothy S. Fuerst, 2003.
"Money Growth Rules and Price Level Determinacy,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(2), pages 263-275, April.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr & Stokey, Nancy L, 1987.
"Money and Interest in a Cash-in-Advance Economy,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 491-513, May.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1984. "Money and Interest in Cash-In-Advance Economy," Discussion Papers 628, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Robert E. Lucas, Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1987. "Money and Interest in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," NBER Working Papers 1618, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bosi, Stefano & Seegmuller, Thomas, 2010.
"On rational exuberance,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 249-270, March.
- Stefano Bosi & Thomas Seegmuller, 2009. "On rational exuberance," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 09004, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Mankiw, N Gregory & Romer, David & Weil, David N, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-37, May.
- Ireland, Peter N, 1994. "Money and Growth: An Alternative Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 47-65, March.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1986. "Functional equivalence between liquidity costs and the utility of money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 271-291, March.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Younes, Yves, 1972. "On the Role of Money and the Existence of a Monetary Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(3), pages 355-72, July.
- Calvin Schnure, 2005. "Boom-Bust Cycles in Housing: The Changing Role of Financial Structure," IMF Working Papers 05/200, International Monetary Fund.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Zvi Eckstein, 1995. "Interpreting monetary stabilization in a growth model with credit goods production," Working Papers 525, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1985. "Money and Asset Prices in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(5), pages 919-44, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.