An analysis of the knowledge base of Scientific Research & Development Business Services
AbstractIt is argued that the literature on SR&D outsourcing focuses mostly on client firms, that is, the demand side, while little is known of the characteristics of the supplying sector. The present paper tackles this gap by elaborating an exploratory analysis of this business service sector with a view to analyse the main patterns of specialization and their evolution over time. Using data on job content and skill requirements in the United States we explore how different forms of knowledge co-exist and co-evolve within a changing sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by INGENIO (CSIC-UPV) in its series INGENIO (CSIC-UPV) Working Paper Series with number 201401.
Date of creation: 10 Feb 2014
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación, Edificio *E 4o planta, 46022 Valencia
Phone: +34 963 877 048
Fax: +34 963 877 991
Web page: http://www.ingenio.upv.es/
More information through EDIRC
R&D; Skills; Occupations;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- L84 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Personal, Professional, and Business Services
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-02-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2014-02-21 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INO-2014-02-21 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2014-02-21 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arie Lewin & Carine Peeters, 2006. "The top-line allure of off-shoring," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9041, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Amable, Bruno & Palombarini, Stéfano, 1998.
"Technical change and incorporated R&D in the service sector,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Amable, Bruno & Palombarini, Stefano, 1998. "Technical change and incorporated R&D in the service sector," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 655-675, November.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2006.
"Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 4(1), pages 37-74, 03.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Aghion, Philippe & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 2002. "Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 3467, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2002. "Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 9066, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zilibotti, Fabrizio & Aghion, Philippe & Acemoglu, Daron, 2006. "Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth," Scholarly Articles 4554122, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Davide Consoli & Francesco Vona, 2011.
"Innovation and Skill Dynamics: A life-cycle approach,"
Sciences Po publications
2011-26, Sciences Po.
- Francesco Vona & Davide Consoli, 2011. "Innovation and skill dynamics: a life - cycle approach," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2011-26, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Pier Saviotti & Koen Frenken, 2008. "Export variety and the economic performance of countries," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 201-218, April.
- Davide Consoli & Dioni Elche, 2013. "The evolving knowledge base of professional service sectors," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 477-501, April.
- von Zedtwitz, Maximilian & Gassmann, Oliver & Boutellier, Roman, 2004. "Organizing global R&D: challenges and dilemmas," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 21-49.
- Cowan,Robin & David,Paul & Foray,Dominique, 1999.
"The Explicit Economics of Knowledge Codification and Tacitness,"
025, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Cowan, Robin & David, Paul A & Foray, Dominique, 2000. "The Explicit Economics of Knowledge Codification and Tacitness," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 211-53, June.
- Robin Cowan & Paul A. David & Dominique Foray, 1999. "The Explicit Economics of Knowledge Codification and Tacitness," Working Papers 99027, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Jackie Krafft & Francesco Quatraro & Pier Paolo Saviotti, 2011.
"The knowledge-base evolution in biotechnology: a social network analysis,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(5), pages 445-475.
- Jackie Krafft & Francesco Quatraro & Pier-Paolo Saviotti, 2011. "The knowledge-base evolution in biotechnology: a social network analysis," Post-Print halshs-00727610, HAL.
- Jackie Krafft & Francesco Quatraro & Pier-Paolo Saviotti, 2011. "The Knowledge Base Evolution in Biotechnology: A Social Network Analysis," Post-Print hal-00539002, HAL.
- J.S. Metcalfe, 2002. "special issue: Knowledge of growth and the growth of knowledge," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 3-15.
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2001.
"The Skill Content of Recent Technological Change: An Empirical Exploration,"
NBER Working Papers
8337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2003. "The Skill Content Of Recent Technological Change: An Empirical Exploration," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(4), pages 1279-1333, November.
- David Autor & Frank Levy & Richard Murnane, 2003. "The skill content of recent technological change: an empirical exploration," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- Consoli, Davide & Elche-Hortelano, Dioni, 2010. "Variety in the knowledge base of Knowledge Intensive Business Services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1303-1310, December.
- Cristiano Antonelli, 2006. "The Business Governance of Localized Knowledge: An Information Economics Approach for the Economics of Knowledge," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 227-261.
- Paola Giuri & Matteo Ploner & Francesco Rullani & Salvatore Torrisi, 2009.
"Skill, division of labor and performance in collective inventions: Evidence from open source software,"
KITeS Working Papers
017, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2009.
- Giuri, Paola & Ploner, Matteo & Rullani, Francesco & Torrisi, Salvatore, 2010. "Skills, division of labor and performance in collective inventions: Evidence from open source software," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 54-68, January.
- Frank Neffke & Martin Henning & Ron Boschma, 2011.
"How Do Regions Diversify over Time? Industry Relatedness and the Development of New Growth Paths in Regions,"
Clark University, vol. 87(3), pages 237-265, 07.
- Frank Neffke & Martin Henning & Martin Ron Boschma, 2009. "How do regions diversify over time? Industry relatedness and the development of new growth paths in regions," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 0916, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Oct 2009.
- Frank Neffke & Martin Svensson Henning, 2009. "Skill-relatedness and firm diversification," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2009-06, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group, revised Oct 2010.
- Jankowski, John E, 2001. " Measurement and Growth of R&D Within the Service Economy," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 323-36, October.
- Carter, Anne P., 1989. "Knowhow trading as economic exchange," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 155-163, June.
- Namrata Malhotra & Timothy Morris, 2009. "Heterogeneity in Professional Service Firms," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(6), pages 895-922, 09.
- Graf, Michael & Mudambi, Susan M., 2005. "The outsourcing of IT-enabled business processes: A conceptual model of the location decision," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 253-268, June.
- Volker Mahnke, 2001. "The Process of Vertical Dis-Integration: An Evolutionary Perspective on Outsourcing," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 353-379, September.
- Koen Frenken & Frank Van Oort & Thijs Verburg, 2007. "Related Variety, Unrelated Variety and Regional Economic Growth," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 685-697.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (François Perruchas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.