COHERENCE OF THE KNOWLEDGE BASE AND THE FIRM'S INNOVATIVE PERFORMANCE: EVIDENCE FROM THE U.S. PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY -super-*
AbstractWe examine the relationship between the coherence of the knowledge base and the innovative performance of U.S. pharmaceutical firms during the 1990's. We develop measures of the coherence and scope of the firms' knowledge base. Count data regression models show a strong link between these two properties and the firms' innovative performance. Firms experience decreasing returns to scale in research but larger firms enjoy a significant size advantage in innovation. Knowledge flows are necessary in knowledge production but not sufficient to secure its quality. Over time, the contribution of the scope and coherence of the knowledge base is increasing. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd. 2005.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal The Journal of Industrial Economics.
Volume (Year): 53 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-1821
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Evens Salies & Lionel Nesta, 2010.
"Libéralisation et dépôts de brevets verts des utilités électriques en Europe,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2010-21, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Lionel Nesta & Evens Salies, 2010. "Libéralisation et dépôts de brevets verts des utilités électriques en Europe," Sciences Po publications 2010-21, Sciences Po.
- Thomas Grebel & Jackie Krafft & Pier-Paolo Saviotti, 2006. "On knowledge intensive industry life cycles," Post-Print hal-00203585, HAL.
- Leten, Bart & Kelchtermans, Stijn & Belderbos, Rene, 2010.
"Internal basic research, external basic research and the technological performance of pharmaceutical firms,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/266023, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Leten, Bart & Kelchtermans, Stijn & Belderbos, Ren, 2010. "Internal Basic Research, External Basic Research and the Technological Performance of Pharmaceutical Firms," Working Papers 2010/12, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Lokshin, Boris & Belderbos, René & Carree, Martin, 2008.
"The productivity effects of internal and external R&D: evidence from a dynamic panel data model,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-20504, Maastricht University.
- Boris Lokshin & René Belderbos & Martin Carree, 2008. "The Productivity Effects of Internal and External R&D: Evidence from a Dynamic Panel Data Model," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(3), pages 399-413, 06.
- Lokshin, Boris & Belderbos, René & Carree, Martin, 2007. "The Productivity Effects of Internal and External R&D: Evidence From a Dynamic Panel Data Model," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 026, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Cristiano Antonelli & Jackie Krafft & Francesco Quatraro, 2010.
"Recombinant knowledge and growth: The case of ICT,"
- Antonelli, Cristiano & Krafft, Jackie & Quatraro, Francesco, 2010. "Recombinant knowledge and growth: The case of ICTs," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 50-69, March.
- Andersen Birgitte & Rossi Federica, 2010. "Recombinant Knowledge and Growth: The Case Of Icts," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 201001, University of Turin.
- Cristiano Antonelli & Jackie Krafft & Francesco Quatraro, 2010. "Recombinant Knowledge and Growth: The Case of ICTs," Post-Print hal-00448649, HAL.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00424163 is not listed on IDEAS
- Elisa Giuliani, 2005. "The Structure of Cluster Knowledge Networks Uneven, not Pervasive and Collective," DRUID Working Papers 05-11, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Suzuki, Shinya, 2012. "Internationalization of R&D activities by multinational firms.," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/340794, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Reinhard Haupt & Matthias Korgel, 2005. "A Comparison between US and International Patent Classification as Input Data of a Technology Competition-Oriented Cluster Analysis," Jenaer Schriften zur Wirtschaftswissenschaft 20/2005, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Quatraro, Francesco, 2008. "Regional Knowledge Base and Productivity Growth: The Evidence of Italian Manufacturing," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200810, University of Turin.
- Lionel Nesta & Pier-Paolo Saviotti, 2003. "Intangible Assests and Market Value: Evidence from Biotechnology Firms," SPRU Working Paper Series 87, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Boris Lokshin & Rene Belderbos & Martin Carree, 2006. "Internal and external R&D： complements or substitutes? Evidence from a dynamic panel data model," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d06-163, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.