Using a multi-criteria decision aid methodology to implement sustainable development principles within an Organization
AbstractThe implementation of Sustainable Development (SD) within an Organization is a difficult task. This is due to the fact that it is difficult to deal with conflicting and incommensurable aspects such as environmental, economic and social dimensions. In this paper we have used a Multi-Criteria Decision Aid (MCDA) methodology to cope with these difficulties. MCDA methodology offers the opportunity to avoid monetary valuation of the different dimensions of the SD. These dimensions are not substitutable for one another and all have a role to play. There is an abundance of possible aggregation procedures in MCDA methodology. In this paper we have proposed an innovative method to choose a suitable aggregation procedure for SD problems. Real life case studies of the implementation of an outranking approach (i.e., ELECTRE) and of a mono-criterion synthesis approach (i.e., MAUT approaches based on the Choquet integral) were done to respectively rank 22 SD strategic actions within an expertise Institute and rank 20 practical operational actions to control energy consumption of the Institute's buildings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00752736.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, European Journal of Operational Research, 2013, 603-613
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00752736
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Sustainable Development indicators; Sustainable Development action plan; Multi-Criteria Decision Aid; ELECTRE; Choquet Integral;
Other versions of this item:
- Merad, Myriam & Dechy, Nicolas & Serir, Lisa & Grabisch, Michel & Marcel, Frédéric, 2013. "Using a multi-criteria decision aid methodology to implement sustainable development principles within an organization," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 224(3), pages 603-613.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ramanathan, R. & Ganesh, L. S., 1995. "Energy resource allocation incorporating qualitative and quantitative criteria: An integrated model using goal programming and AHP," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 197-218, September.
- Luigi Fusco Girard & Pasquale Toro, 2007. "Integrated spatial assessment: a multicriteria approach to sustainable development of cultural and environmental heritage in San Marco dei Cavoti, Italy," Central European Journal of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 281-299, September.
- Figueira, Jose & Roy, Bernard, 2002. "Determining the weights of criteria in the ELECTRE type methods with a revised Simos' procedure," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 139(2), pages 317-326, June.
- Guitouni, Adel & Martel, Jean-Marc, 1998. "Tentative guidelines to help choosing an appropriate MCDA method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 501-521, September.
- Labreuche, Christophe & Grabisch, Michel, 2006.
"Generalized Choquet-like aggregation functions for handling bipolar scales,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 172(3), pages 931-955, August.
- Christophe Labreuche & Michel Grabisch, 2006. "Generalized Choquet-like aggregation functions for handling bipolar scales," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00186907, HAL.
- Kowalski, Katharina & Stagl, Sigrid & Madlener, Reinhard & Omann, Ines, 2009. "Sustainable energy futures: Methodological challenges in combining scenarios and participatory multi-criteria analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 197(3), pages 1063-1074, September.
- K. Rezaei-Moghaddam & E. Karami, 2008. "A multiple criteria evaluation of sustainable agricultural development models using AHP," Environment, Development and Sustainability, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 407-426, August.
- Vincke, Philippe, 1986. "Analysis of multicriteria decision aid in Europe," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 160-168, May.
- Behzadian, Majid & Kazemzadeh, R.B. & Albadvi, A. & Aghdasi, M., 2010. "PROMETHEE: A comprehensive literature review on methodologies and applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(1), pages 198-215, January.
- Chen, Ting-Yu & Chang, Chien-Hung & Rachel Lu, Jui-fen, 2013. "The extended QUALIFLEX method for multiple criteria decision analysis based on interval type-2 fuzzy sets and applications to medical decision making," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(3), pages 615-625.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.