Modular Production Networks in Electronics: The Nexus between Management and Economics Research
AbstractIn the last two decades, the electronics industry has evolved from a vertically integrated in-dustry to a vertically segmented one. This transformation has often been attributed to the modularization of electronic products. In this paper, we argue that the degree of modularity is an active choice variable for a firm. As a result, it is necessary to focus on the underlying fac-tors that drive both modularity and the organization of production. This provides insights into the transformation taking place in global electronics production, with vertical fragmentation, horizontal consolidation, and the growth of Asian electronics production.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 200405.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Also Singapore Management University Economics and Statistics Working Paper 21-2004, September 2004
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2424 Maile Way, Honolulu, HI 96822
Web page: http://www.economics.hawaii.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Byron Gangnes & Ari Van Assche, 2004. "Modular Production Networks in Electronics: the Nexus between Management and Economics Research," Working Papers 21-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
- L63 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Microelectronics; Computers; Communications Equipment
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2005-01-23 (Business Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2005-01-23 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:hrv:faseco:4784029 is not listed on IDEAS
- Antras, Pol & Helpman, Elhanan, 2004.
3196327, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Pol Antras & Elhanan Helpman, 2003. "Global Sourcing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2005, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Pol Antràs & Elhanan Helpman, 2003. "Global Sourcing," NBER Working Papers 10082, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antràs, Pol & Helpman, Elhanan, 2004. "Global Sourcing," CEPR Discussion Papers 4170, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Timothy J. Sturgeon, 2002. "Modular production networks: a new American model of industrial organization," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(3), pages 451-496, June.
- Carliss Y. Baldwin & Kim B. Clark, 2000. "Design Rules, Volume 1: The Power of Modularity," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262024667, December.
- Hart, Oliver & Moore, John, 1990.
"Property Rights and the Nature of the Firm,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(6), pages 1119-58, December.
- Hart, Oliver D. & Moore, John, 1990. "Property Rights and the Nature of the Firm," Scholarly Articles 3448675, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1988. "Property Rights and the Nature of the Firm," Working papers 495, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Langlois, Richard N., 2002. "Modularity in technology and organization," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 19-37, September.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz & Shahid Yusuf, 2001. "Rethinking the East Asian Miracle," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13969, July.
- David Hummels & Dana Rapoport & Kei-Mu Yi, 1998. "Vertical specialization and the changing nature of world trade," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jun, pages 79-99.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2002. "Integration Versus Outsourcing In Industry Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 117(1), pages 85-120, February.
- Dieter Ernst, 2003. "How Sustainable are Benefits from Global Production Networks? Malaysia's Upgrading Prospects in the Electronics Industry," Economics Study Area Working Papers 57, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- John McLaren, 2000.
""Globalization" and Vertical Structure,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1239-1254, December.
- Boy Luthje, 2002. "Electronics Contract Manufacturing: Global Production and the International Division of Labor in the Age of the Internet," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 227-247.
- Ashish Arora & Andrea Fosfuri & Alfonso Gambardella, 2004. "Markets for Technology: The Economics of Innovation and Corporate Strategy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262511819, December.
- Shahid Yusuf, 2003. "Innovative East Asia : The Future of Growth," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15158, July.
- Ulrich, Karl, 1995. "The role of product architecture in the manufacturing firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 419-440, May.
- Dieter Ernst, 2002. "Global Production Networks in East Asia's Electronics Industry and Upgrading Perspectives in Malaysia," Economics Study Area Working Papers wp44, East-West Center, Economics Study Area, revised Oct 2003.
- Lowe, Nichola & Kenney, Martin, 1999. "Foreign Investment and the Global Geography of Production: Why the Mexican Consumer Electronics Industry Failed," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1427-1443, August.
- Vincent Frigant, 2007. "L'impact de la production modulaire sur l'approfondissement de la Division Internationale des Processus Productifs (DIPP)," Revue d'économie politique, Dalloz, vol. 0(6), pages 937-961.
- Vincent FRIGANT (GREThA), 2007. "Between Internationalisation and Proximity: the internationalisation process of automotive first tier suppliers," Cahiers du GREThA 2007-13, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Web Technician).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.