Innovative East Asia : The Future of Growth
AbstractThis is the main volume in a series of publications based on a study cosponsored by the government of Japan and the World Bank to examine the future sources of economic growth in East Asia. The study was initiated in 2000 with the objective of identifying the most promising path to development in light of emerging global and regional changes, signaled by the crisis of 1997-98 and the challenges faced by the crisis-hit countries as they sought to resume rapid growth. This volume explores each issue and consequent policy choices in greater detail. The principal message is that sustained economic growth in East Asia will rest on retaining the strengths of the past -stability, openness, investment, human capital development- on overcoming the sources of current weakness in financial, corporate, judicial, and social sectors, and on implementing the changes required by the evolving economic environment. East Asia needs to sustain its hard-earned stability by recalibrating its fiscal and exchange rate policies. Strengthening social safety nets and governance, and invigorating financial, regulatory, and legal institutions. Yet these are only preconditions; future economic performance will depend on keying growth to productivity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 15158 and published in 2003-03.
Poverty Reduction - Achieving Shared Growth Earth Sciences and GIS Economic Theory and Research Banks and Banking Reform Environmental Economics and Policies;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yeats, Alexander, 1997. "Does Mercosur's trade performance raise concerns about the effects of regional trade arrangements?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1729, The World Bank.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996.
"The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alwyn Young, 2000. "The Razor's Edge: Distortions and Incremental Reform in the People's Republic of China," NBER Working Papers 7828, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alwyn Young, 2000. "The Razor'S Edge: Distortions And Incremental Reform In The People'S Republic Of China," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 115(4), pages 1091-1135, November.
- repec:cto:journl:v:21:y:2002:i:3:p:395-414 is not listed on IDEAS
- Shahid Yusuf & Simon Evenett & Weiping Wu, 2001. "Facets of Globalization : International and Local Dimensions of Development," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14014, October.
- Poh Kam Wong & Yuen Ping Ho & Singh, Annette, 2005. "Singapore as an innovative city in East Asia : an explorative study of the perspectives of innovative industries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3568, The World Bank.
- Sanjaya Lall & Manuel Albaladejo & Jinkang Zhang, 2004.
"Mapping fragmentation: Electronics and automobiles in East Asia and Latin America,"
Oxford Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(3), pages 407-432.
- Sanjaya Lall, Manuel Albaladejo and Jinkang Zhang (QEH), . "Mapping Fragmentation: Electronics and Automobiles in East Asia and Latin America," QEH Working Papers qehwps115, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Benno J. Ndulu, 2007. "Challenges of African Growth : Opportunities, Constraints, and Strategic Directions," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6656, October.
- Kim-Song Tan & Sock-Yong Phang, 2005.
"From efficiency-driven to innovation-driven economic growth : perspectives from Singapore,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3569, The World Bank.
- Kim-Song Tan & Sock-Yong Phang, 2004. "From Efficiency-driven to Innovation-driven Economic Growth: Perspectives from Singapore," Working Papers 15-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Katarina Keller, 2006. "Education Expansion, Expenditures per Student and the Effects on Growth in Asia," Global Economic Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 21-42.
- World Bank, 2003. "China - Promoting Growth with Equity : Country Economic Memorandum," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14643, The World Bank.
- Singh, Lakhwinder, 2006. "Innovations and Economic Growth in a Fast Changing Global Economy: Comparative Experience of Asian Countries," MPRA Paper 80, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Singh, Lakhwinder & Singh, Baldev, 2009. "National Innovation System in the Era of Liberalization: Implications for Science and Technology Policy for Developing Economies," MPRA Paper 15432, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shahid Yusuf & M. Anjum Altaf & Kaoru Nabeshima, 2004. "Global Production Networking and Technological Change in East Asia," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14918, October.
- Nabeshima, Kaoru, 2011. "Growth strategies in a greener world," IDE Discussion Papers 314, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Hwang, Eui-Gab & McGarrell, Edmund F. & Benson, Bruce L., 2005. "Public satisfaction with the South Korean Police: The effect of residential location in a rapidly industrializing nation," Journal of Criminal Justice, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 585-599.
- Nagy K. Hanna, 2007. "From Envisioning to Designing e-Development : The Experience of Sri Lanka," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6628, October.
- Masahiro Kawai & Richard Newfarmer & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2005. "Financial Crises: Nine Lessons from East Asia," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 31(2), pages 185-207, Spring.
- Singh, Lakhwinder, 2006.
"Globalization, national innovation systems and response of public policy,"
641, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lakhwinder Singh, 2007. "Globalization, National Innovation Systems and Response of Public Policy," Working Papers id:809, eSocialSciences.
- World Bank, 2007. "Building Knowledge Economies : Advanced Strategies for Development," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6853, October.
- Haworth, Nigel, 2013. "Compressed Development: Global value chains, multinational enterprises and human resource development in 21st century Asia," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 251-259.
- Parsons, Craig & Richardson, J. David, 2004. "Lessons for Asia?: European experiences--in American perspective--in legitimizing market integration," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 885-907, January.
- Nagy Hanna, 2011. "E-Sri Lanka as a Deliberate and Emergent Strategy Process," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Byron Gangnes & Ari Van Assche, 2004.
"Modular Production Networks in Electronics: The Nexus between Management and Economics Research,"
200405, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Byron Gangnes & Ari Van Assche, 2004. "Modular Production Networks in Electronics: the Nexus between Management and Economics Research," Working Papers 21-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.