Ten years of modularity: empirical evidences on the restructuring of the auto part industry (In French)
AbstractThis article reviews the carmaker-driven industrial restructurings that positioned First Tier Suppliers (henceforth FTS) at the heart of the world’s automobile system. It also draws necessarily temporary conclusions about their performance. The article is organised into three main sections. The first recaps the major transformations induced by modularity that affected inter-firm vertical relationships and highlights the challenges facing FTS. The second uses a ranking of the 30 leading automobile suppliers to analyse the instability of their global hierarchy. The final section focuses on three questions that became key for suppliers: profitability; R&D spending; and internationalisation. Most analysis involves a statistical study of a sample of 20 companies. The three sections converge to reveal a diversity of automobile supplier trajectories, in terms of both their intrinsic performance and the new kinds of operational modes they have operated within their vertical relationships.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales in its series Cahiers du GRES with number 2007-20.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Modular production; auto part industry; First tier suppliers; industrial restructuring; profitability; internationalisation;
Other versions of this item:
- Vincent FRIGANT (GREThA), 2007. "Ten years of modularity: empirical evidences on the restructuring of the auto part industry (In French)," Cahiers du GREThA 2007-15, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- L62 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Automobiles; Other Transportation Equipment
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
- L24 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Contracting Out; Joint Ventures
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vincent Frigant, 2002. "Geographical proximity and supplying relationships in modular production," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 742-755, December.
- Vincent FRIGANT (E3i, IFReDE-GRES), 2004. "The globalization of the automotive First Tier Suppliers: an empirical study (In French)," Cahiers du GRES 2004-16, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Asanuma, Banri, 1989. "Manufacturer-supplier relationships in Japan and the concept of relation-specific skill," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 1-30, March.
- Gary Herrigel, 2004. "Emerging Strategies and Forms of Governance in High-Wage Component Manufacturing Regions," Industry & Innovation, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(1-2), pages 45-79.
- François Fourcade & Christophe Midler, 2005. "The role of 1st tier suppliers in automobile product modularisation: the search for a coherent strategy," Post-Print hal-00262872, HAL.
- Frigant, Vincent & Layan, Jean-Bernard, 2009.
"Géographie d’une industrie automobile modulaire : le cas des équipementiers français en Europe de l’Est,"
Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine,
Editions NecPlus, vol. 2009(04), pages 711-737, December.
- Vincent Frigant & Jean-Bernard Layan, 2009. "Géographie d'une industrie automobile modulaire : le cas des équipementiers français en Europe de l'Est," Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine, Armand Colin, vol. 0(4), pages 711-737.
- Vincent FRIGANT (GREThA), 2007. "Between Internationalisation and Proximity: the internationalisation process of automotive first tier suppliers," Cahiers du GREThA 2007-13, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Frigant).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.