Impact assessment of IFPRI's research and related activities based on economywide modeling
Abstract"Why is an economywide approach helpful for analyzing food policies, and what has been the impact of that part of IFPRI's activities over the past decade? This paper (the 21st in a series of studies commissioned by IFPRI to evaluate the impact of its research and related activities) attempts to assess the worth of those activities as part of a wider process aimed at improving the effectiveness of IFPRI's work and documenting for donors the wisdom of investing in it.... The report begins by laying out the utility of an economywide framework (Section 2), before summarizing the inputs into TMD's economywide modeling and other activities since 1994 (Section 3). It then catalogs the various outputs and tries to measure their outcomes in terms of such things as publication citations and website downloads of papers (Sections 4 and 5). The impact of those products is much more difficult to gauge (the standard attribution problem in assessing methodological and policy research), but two approaches are used in Section 6. One is to draw on responses to a questionnaire sent to a range of stakeholders in developing-country governments, policy think tanks, policy modelers, and other food and trade policy researchers at universities and international donor agencies. The other is to draw on narratives provided by current IFPRI staff and others. The final section summarizes what has been found in this assessment." from Author's Abstract"
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series Impact assessments with number 21.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Food policy ; Computable general equilibrium (CGE)Modeling ; Modeling ; Assessment ; International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) ;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Warr, Peter G., 1978.
"The Case Against Tariff Compensation,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 22(02-03).
- Peter G. Warr, 1978. "The Case Against Tariff Compensation," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 22(2-3), pages 85-98, 08-12.
- Fan, Shenggen & Fang, Cheng & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2001.
"How Agricultural Research Affects Urban Poverty In Developing Countries? The Case Of China,"
2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL
20636, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Fan, Shenggen & Fang, Cheng & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2001. "How agricultural research affects urban poverty in developing countries: the case of China," EPTD discussion papers 83, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Oyejide, T. Ademola., 1986. "The effects of trade and exchange rate policies on agriculture in Nigeria.:," Research reports 55, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Henning Tarp Jensen & Sherman Robinson & Finn Tarp, 2004.
"General Equilibrium Measures of Agricultural Policy Bias in Fifteen Developing Countries,"
04-25, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Jensen, Henning Tarp & Robinson, Sherman & Tarp, Finn, 2002. "General equilibrium measures of agricultural policy bias in fifteen developing countries," TMD discussion papers 105, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Diao, Xinshen & Fan, Shenggen & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2003. "China's WTO accession: impacts on regional agricultural income-- a multi-region, general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 332-351, June.
- Powell, Alan A. & Snape, Richard H., 1993.
"The contribution of applied general equilibrium analysis to policy reform in Australia,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 393-414, August.
- Alan A. Powell & Richard H. Snape, 1992. "The Contribution of Applied General Equilibrium Analysis to Policy Reform in Australia," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-98, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Pardey, Philip G. & Christian, Jason E., 2002. "The production and diffusion of policy knowledge," Impact assessments 14, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Anderson, Kym & Huang, Jikun & Ianchovichina, Elena, 2004.
"Will China's WTO accession worsen farm household incomes?,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 443-456.
- Kym Anderson & Jikun Huang & Elena Ianchovichina, 2002. "Impact of ChinaÂ’s WTO Accession on Farm-Nonfarm Income Inequality and Rural Poverty," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2002-11, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Shenggen Fan & Peter Hazell & Sukhadeo Thorat, 2000. "Government Spending, Growth and Poverty in Rural India," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 1038-1051.
- Schimmelpfennig, David E. & Norton, George W., 2000. "What Value Is Agricultural Economics Research?," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21773, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Arndt, Channing & Tarp, Finn, 2000. "Agricultural Technology, Risk, and Gender: A CGE Analysis of Mozambique," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1307-1326, July.
- Snow, Arthur & Warren, Ronald Jr., 1996. "The marginal welfare cost of public funds: Theory and estimates," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 289-305, August.
- David E. Schimmelpfennig & George W. Norton, 2003. "What is the Value of Agricultural Economics Research?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 81-94.
- Anderson, Jock R. & Bos, Maria Soledad & Cohen, Marc J., 2005. "Impact assessment of food policy research a stocktaking workshop: synthesis report," Impact assessments 25, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Pearce, David, 2005. "Review of ACIAR's Research on Agricultural Policy," Impact Assessment Series (IAS) 113220, Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research.
- Hewitt, Joanna, 2008. "Impact evaluation of research by the International Food Policy Research Institute on agricultural trade liberalization, developing countries, and WTO's Doha negotiations:," Impact assessments 28, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.