On the profitability of technical trading rules based on arifitial neural networks : evidence from the Madrid stock market
AbstractIn this paper we investigate the profitability of a simple technical trading rule based on Artificial Neural Networks (ANNs). Our results, based on applying this investment strategy to the General Index of the Madrid Stock Market, suggest that, in absence of trading costs, the technical trading rule is always superior to a buy-and-hold strategy for both "bear" market and "stable" market episodes. On the other hand, we find that the buy-and-hold strategy generates higher returns than the trading rule based on ANN only for a "bull" market subperiod.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers with number 99-07.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
Technical trading rules; Neural network models; Security markets;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1999-12-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-ETS-1999-12-14 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FIN-1999-12-14 (Finance)
- NEP-IND-1999-12-14 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fernandez-Rodriguez, Fernando & Sosvilla-Rivero, Simon & Andrada-Felix, Julian, 1999. "Exchange-rate forecasts with simultaneous nearest-neighbour methods: evidence from the EMS," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 383-392, October.
- SimÃ³n Sosvilla-Rivero & Miguel Angel Galindo & Javier Alonso, . "Tax-burden convergence in Europe," Working Papers 98-13, FEDEA.
- Ana Goicolea & JosÃ© A. Herce & Juan J. De Lucio, . "Regional integration and growth: The Spanish case," Working Papers 98-14, FEDEA.
- Carlos Usabiaga IbÃ¡Ã±ez, . "EconomÃa, mercado de trabajo y sistema universitario espaÃ±ol: Conversaciones con destacados macroeconomistas," Working Papers 98-15, FEDEA.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & del Rio, Fernando & Licandro, Omar, 1999.
"Endogenous vs Exogenously Driven Fluctuations in Vintage Capital Models,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
1999007, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Boucekkine, Raouf & del Rio, Fernando & Licandro, Omar, 1999. "Endogenous vs Exogenously Driven Fluctuations in Vintage Capital Models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 161-187, September.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Del Rio, Fernando & Licandro, Omar, 1999. "Endogenous vs exogenously driven fluctuations in vintage capital models," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9901, CEPREMAP.
- Fernando FernÃ¡ndez-RodrÃguez & SimÃ³n Sosvilla-Rivero & JuliÃ¡n Andrada, . "Assesing the Economic Value of Nearest-neighbour Exchange-Rate Forecasts," Working Papers 98-18, FEDEA.
- Olivier Blanchard & Juan F. Jimeno, . "Reducing Spanish unemployment under the EMU," Working Papers 99-02, FEDEA.
- Namkee Ahn & Pedro Mira, . "Job bust, baby bust: The Spanish case," Studies on the Spanish Economy 12, FEDEA.
- Salvador Barrios, . "Foreign direct investment and industrial development in host countries," Working Papers 98-21, FEDEA.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & DE LA CROIX, David & LICANDRO, Omar, 2006.
CORE Discussion Papers
2006024, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Raouf Boucekkine & David de la Croix & Omar Licandro, 2006. "Vintage Capital," Economics Working Papers ECO2006/8, European University Institute.
- Raouf, BOUCEKKINE & David, DE LA CROIX & Omar, LICANDRO, 2006. "Vintage Capital," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2006014, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Fernández-Rodríguez & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero & Julián Andrada-Félix, . "Technical analysis in the Madrid stock exchange," Studies on the Spanish Economy 23, FEDEA.
- Fernandez-Rodriguez, Fernando & Gonzalez-Martel, Christian & Sosvilla-Rivero, Simon, 2000. "On the profitability of technical trading rules based on artificial neural networks:: Evidence from the Madrid stock market," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 89-94, October.
- SimÃ³n Sosvilla-Rivero & JuliÃ¡n Andrada-FÃ©lix & Fernando FernÃ¡ndez-RodrÃguez, . "Further evidence on technical analysis and profitability of foreign exchange intervention," Working Papers 99-01, FEDEA.
- Irene Olloqui & SimÃ³n Sosvilla-Rivero & Javier Alonso, . "Convergencia en precios en las provincias espaÃ±olas," Working Papers 99-04, FEDEA.
- Herce, Jose A & Sosvilla-Rivero, Simon & de Lucio, Juan Jose, 2001. " Growth and the Welfare State in the EU: A Causality Analysis," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 109(1-2), pages 55-68, October.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Germain, Marc & Licandro, Omar & Magnus, Alphonse, 2001. "Numerical solution by iterative methods of a class of vintage capital models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 655-669, May.
- Chiarella, Carl & He, Xue-Zhong & Hommes, Cars, 2006.
"A dynamic analysis of moving average rules,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 30(9-10), pages 1729-1753.
- Chiarella, C. & He, X.-Z. & Hommes, C.H., 2004. "A Dynamic Analysis of Moving Average Rules," CeNDEF Working Papers 04-14, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Cars Hommes & Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He, 2004. "A Dynamical Analysis of Moving Average Rules," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 238, Society for Computational Economics.
- Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He & Cars Hommes, 2004. "A Dynamic Analysis of Moving Average Rules," Research Paper Series 133, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Carl Chiarella & Tony He & Cars H. Hommes, 2005. "A Dynamic Analysis of Moving Average Rules," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-057/1, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.