Technical Trading Rules and Regime Shifts in Foreign Exchange
AbstractThis paper performs tests on several different foreign exchange series using a methodology inspired by technical trading rules. Moving average based rules are used as specification tests on the process for foreign exchange rates. Several models for regime shifts and persistent trends are simulated and compared with results from the actual series. The results show that these simple models can not capture some aspects of the series studied. Finally, the economic significance of the trading rule results are tested. Returns distributions from the trading rules are compared with returns on risk free assets and returns from the U.S. stock market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Wisconsin - Madison in its series Working papers with number _007.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Social Science Building, 1180 Observatory Drive, Madison, WI 53706-1393
Web page: http://www.econ.wisc.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey, Andrew & Ruiz, Esther & Sentana, Enrique, 1992. "Unobserved component time series models with Arch disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 129-157.
- Kathryn M. Dominguez, 1986.
"Are foreign exchange forecasts rational? New evidence from survey data,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
281, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Dominguez, Kathryn M., 1986. "Are foreign exchange forecasts rational? : New evidence from survey data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 277-281.
- Francis X. Diebold & James M. Nason, 1989.
"Nonparametric exchange rate prediction?,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
81, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brock, William & Lakonishok, Josef & LeBaron, Blake, 1992.
" Simple Technical Trading Rules and the Stochastic Properties of Stock Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 1731-64, December.
- Brock, W. & Lakonishok, J. & Lebaron, B., 1991. "Simple Technical Trading Rules And The Stochastic Properties Of Stock Returns," Working papers 90-22, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Pagan, A.R. & Schwert, G.W., 1989.
"Alternative Models For Conditional Stock Volatility,"
89-02, Rochester, Business - General.
- Pagan, Adrian R. & Schwert, G. William, 1990. "Alternative models for conditional stock volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 267-290.
- Adrian R. Pagan & G. William Schwert, 1990. "Alternative Models For Conditional Stock Volatility," NBER Working Papers 2955, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Meese, Richard A & Rose, Andrew K, 1990. "Nonlinear, Nonparametric, Nonessential Exchange Rate Estimation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 192-96, May.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- repec:att:wimass:9105 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sweeney, Richard J, 1986. " Beating the Foreign Exchange Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(1), pages 163-82, March.
- Domowitz, Ian & Hakkio, Craig S., 1985. "Conditional variance and the risk premium in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 47-66, August.
- Lee, Bong-Soo & Ingram, Beth Fisher, 1991. "Simulation estimation of time-series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2-3), pages 197-205, February.
- Daniel McFadden, 1987.
"A Method of Simulated Moments for Estimation of Discrete Response Models Without Numerical Integration,"
464, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1989. "A Method of Simulated Moments for Estimation of Discrete Response Models without Numerical Integration," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 995-1026, September.
- Pakes, Ariel & Pollard, David, 1989. "Simulation and the Asymptotics of Optimization Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1027-57, September.
- Goodhart, Charles, 1988. "The Foreign Exchange Market: A Random Walk with a Dragging Anchor," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 55(220), pages 437-60, November.
- LeBaron, Blake, 1992.
"Forecast Improvements Using a Volatility Index,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages S137-49, Suppl. De.
- Engel, Charles & Hamilton, James D, 1990. "Long Swings in the Dollar: Are They in the Data and Do Markets Know It?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(4), pages 689-713, September.
- Meese, Richard A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1983. "Empirical exchange rate models of the seventies : Do they fit out of sample?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-2), pages 3-24, February.
- P. Lequeux & E. Acar, 1998. "A dynamic index for managed currencies funds using CME currency contracts," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(4), pages 311-330.
- Canova, Fabio & Marrinan, Jane, 1995. "Predicting excess returns in financial markets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 35-69, January.
- Blake LeBaron, 1994. "Chaos and Nonlinear Forecastability in Economics and Finance," Finance 9411001, EconWPA.
- LeBaron, B., 1996.
"Technical Trading Rule Profitability and Foreing Exchange Intervention,"
9445r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- LeBaron, Blake, 1999. "Technical trading rule profitability and foreign exchange intervention," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 125-143, October.
- Blake LeBaron, . "Technical Trading Rule Profitability and Foreign Exchange Intervention," Working papers _002, University of Wisconsin - Madison.
- Blake LeBaron, 1994. "Technical Trading Rule Profitability and Foreign Exchange Intervention," International Finance 9411002, EconWPA.
- Blake LeBaron, 1996. "Technical Trading Rule Profitability and Foreign Exchange Intervention," NBER Working Papers 5505, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hans Dewachter, 1997. "Sign predictions of exchange rate changes: Charts as proxies for Bayesian inferences," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(1), pages 39-55, March.
- Skouras, Spyros, 2001.
"Financial returns and efficiency as seen by an artificial technical analyst,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 213-244, January.
- Spyros Skouras, 1998. "Financial Returns and Efficiency as seen by an Artificial Technical Analyst," Finance 9808001, EconWPA, revised 24 Aug 1998.
- Bernd Lucke, 2003. "Are technical trading rules profitable? Evidence for head-and-shoulder rules," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 33-40.
- Bill Cai & Charlie Cai & Kevin Keasey, 2005. "Market Efficiency and Returns to Simple Technical Trading Rules: Further Evidence from U.S., U.K., Asian and Chinese Stock Markets," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 45-60, March.
- Shareen Joshi & Jeffrey Parker & Mark A. Bedau, 1998. "Technical Trading Creates a Prisoner's Dilemma: Results from an Agent-Based Model," Research in Economics 98-12-115e, Santa Fe Institute.
- Emmanuel Acar & Stephen Satchell, 1997. "A theoretical analysis of trading rules: an application to the moving average case with Markovian returns," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 165-180.
- Gencay, Ramazan, 1999. "Linear, non-linear and essential foreign exchange rate prediction with simple technical trading rules," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 91-107, February.
- Jing Yang, 1999. "Heterogeneous Beliefs, Intelligent Agents, and Allocative Efficiency in an Artificial Stock Market," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 612, Society for Computational Economics.
- Alessandro Beber, 1999. "Il dibattito su dignità ed efficacia dell'analisi tecnica nell'economia finanziaria," Alea Tech Reports 003, Department of Computer and Management Sciences, University of Trento, Italy, revised 14 Jun 2008.
- Balvers, Ronald & Wu, Yangru, 2010.
"Optimal transaction filters under transitory trading opportunities: Theory and empirical illustration,"
Journal of Financial Markets,
Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 129-156, February.
- Ronald J. Balvers & Yangru Wu, 2005. "Optimal Transaction Filters Under Transitory Trading Opportunities: Theory and Empirical Illustration," Working Papers 022005, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Bong-Chan, Kho, 1996. "Time-varying risk premia, volatility, and technical trading rule profits: Evidence from foreign currency futures markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 249-290, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.