The excess burden associated to characteristics of the goods: Application to housing demand
AbstractThis paper shows that conditional subsidies aimed at certain kinds of goods do not merely generate the traditional excess burden: there is an alternative welfare loss as the distortion affects good characteristics rather than prices. We provide empirical evidence of the welfare loss after estimating a linear hedonic price model and using predicted prices in a quadratic almost ideal demand system for housing characteristics. We identify the sources of the losses and we also provide a monetary measure that suggests that, under plausible parameter values, it can be quantitatively high.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers with number 2005-09.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Can, Ayse, 1992. "Specification and estimation of hedonic housing price models," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 453-474, September.
- Knight J. R. & Hill R. Carter & Sirmans C. F., 1993. "Estimation of Hedonic Housing Price Models Using Nonsample Information: A Monte Carlo Study," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 319-346, November.
- Hansen, Julia L. & Formby, John P. & Smith, W. James, 1996. "The Income Elasticity of Demand for Housing: Evidence from Concentration Curves," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 173-192, March.
- Mendelsohn, Robert, 1984. "Estimating the Structural Equations of Implicit Markets and Household Production Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(4), pages 673-77, November.
- R, Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 1997.
"Estimation in Large and Dissagregated Demand Systems : An Estimator for Conditionally Linear Systems,"
97-08, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Blundell, Richard & Robin, Jean Marc, 1999. "Estimation in Large and Disaggregated Demand Systems: An Estimator for Conditionally Linear Systems," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 209-32, May-June.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2000.
"A Rational Rank Four Demand System,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
463, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 04 Apr 2003.
- Ohsfeldt, Robert L., 1988. "Implicit markets and the demand for housing characteristics," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 321-343, August.
- Cheshire, Paul & Sheppard, Stephen, 1998. "Estimating the Demand for Housing, Land, and Neighbourhood Characteristics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 60(3), pages 357-82, August.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997.
"Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Banks, J & Blundell, R & Lewbel, A, 1997. "Quadratic engel curves and consumer demand," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Ohsfeldt, Robert L. & Smith, Barton A., 1990. "Calculating elasticities from structural parameters in implicit markets," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 212-221, March.
- Bartik, Timothy J, 1987. "The Estimation of Demand Parameters in Hedonic Price Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(1), pages 81-88, February.
- Seko, Miki, 2002. "Nonlinear budget constraints and estimation: effects of subsidized home loans on floor space decisions in Japan," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 280-299, September.
- Palmquist, Raymond B, 1984. "Estimating the Demand for the Characteristics of Housing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(3), pages 394-404, August.
- Bonnetain, Philippe, 2003. "A hedonic price model for islands," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 368-377, September.
- Epple, Dennis, 1987. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Estimating Demand and Supply Functions for Differentiated Products," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(1), pages 59-80, February.
- Wilhelmsson, Mats, 2002. "Household Expenditure Patterns for Housing Attributes: A Linear Expenditure System with Hedonic Prices," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 75-93, March.
- Brown, James N & Rosen, Harvey S, 1982.
"On the Estimation of Structural Hedonic Price Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 765-68, May.
- James N. Brown & Harvey S. Rosen, 1982. "On the Estimation of Structural Hedonic Price Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0018, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Salo, Sinikka, 1994. "Modelling the Finnish housing market," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 250-265, April.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Palmquist, Raymond B., 1992. "Valuing localized externalities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 59-68, January.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Diamond, Douglas Jr. & Smith, Barton A., 1985. "Simultaneity in the market for housing characteristics," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 280-292, May.
- Corinne Mette, . "Wellbeing and dependency among European elderly: The role of social integration," Working Papers 2005-12, FEDEA.
- José M. Labeaga & Ester Martínez Ros, .
"Persistence and ability in the innovation decisions,"
- José M. Labeaga & Ester Martínez Ros, 2003. "Persistence And Ability In The Innovation Decisions," Business Economics Working Papers wb030101, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Andrés J. Marchante Mera & Bienvenido Ortega Aguaza & José Sánchez Maldonado, 2006. "Las dimensiones del bienestar en las Comunidades Autónomas Españolas. Un análisis de Sigma y Gamma-Convergencia," Working Papers 2006-05, FEDEA.
- José M. Labeaga & Xisco Oliver & Amedeo Spadaro, . "Measuring Changes in Health Capital," Working Papers 2005-15, FEDEA.
- Pedro N. Rodríguez, & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, 2006. "Understanding and Forecasting Stock Price Changes," Working Papers 2006-03, FEDEA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.