Understanding and Forecasting Stock Price Changes
AbstractPrevious empirical studies have shown that predictive regressions in which model uncertainty is assessed and propagated generate desirable properties when predicting out-of-sample. However, it is still not clear (a) what the important conditioning variables for predicting stock returns out-of-sample are, and (b) how composite weighted ensembles outperform model selection criteria. By comparing the unconditional accuracy of prediction regressions to the conditional accuracy conditioned on specific explanatory variables masked), we find that cross-sectional premium and term spread are robust predictors of future stock returns. Additionally, using the bias-variance decomposition for the 0/1 loss function, the analysis shows that lower bias, and not lower variance, is the fundamental difference between composite weighted ensembles and model selection criteria. This difference, nevertheless, does not necessarily imply that model averaging techniques improve our ability to describe monthly up-and-down movements' behavior in stock markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers with number 2006-03.
Date of creation: Mar 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2006-03-04 (Econometrics)
- NEP-FMK-2006-03-18 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-FOR-2006-03-03 (Forecasting)
- NEP-RMG-2006-03-07 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric Strobl, & Salvador Barrios, 2006.
"The dynamics of regional inequalities,"
- Franck Portier & Luis A. Puch, .
"The Welfare Cost of Business Cycles in an Economy with Nonclearing Markets,"
- Portier Franck & Puch Luis A., 2007. "The Welfare Cost of Business Cycles in an Economy with Nonclearing Markets," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(3), pages 1-16, January.
- Luis A. Puch & Franck Portier, 2004. "The Welfare Cost of Business Cycles in an Economy with Nonclearing Markets," 2004 Meeting Papers 570, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Frank Portier & Luis A. Puch, 2004. "The Welfare Cost of Business Cycles in an Economy with Nonclearing Markets," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 0403, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Portier, Franck & Puch, Luis, 2004. "The Welfare Cost of Business Cycles in an Economy with Non-Clearing Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 4799, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Amelia Bilbao & Celia Bilbao & José M. Labeaga, . "The excess burden associated to characteristics of the goods: Application to housing demand," Working Papers 2005-09, FEDEA.
- Salvador Gil-Pareja & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, .
"Price Convergence in the European Car Market,"
- José M. Labeaga & Miguel Rodríguez & Xavier Labandeira, 2006.
"A Macro and Microeconomic Integrated Approach to Assessing the Effects of Public Policies,"
- Xavier Labandeira & José M. Labeaga & Miguel Rodríguez, 2006. "A Macro and Microeconomic Integrated Approach to Assessing the Effects of Public Policies," Working Papers 22, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Ana Carolina Ortega Masagué, . "La situación laboral de los inmigrantes en España: Un análisis descriptivo," Working Papers 2005-08, FEDEA.
- Sergi Jiménez-Martín & José M. Labeaga & Cristina Vilaplana Prieto, .
"A sequential model for older workers’ labor transitions after a health shock,"
- Sergi Jiménez-Martín & José M. Labeaga & Cristina Vilaplana Prieto, 2005. "A sequential model for older workers’ labor transitions after a health shock," Economics Working Papers 898, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- José A. Herce & Simón Sosvilla Rivero, . "EL NO-MAGREB. Implicaciones económicas para (y más allá de) la región," Working Papers 2005-06, FEDEA.
- Namkee Ahn & Javier Alonso-Meseguer & Juan Ramón García, . "A Projection of Spanish Pension System under Demographic Uncertainty," Working Papers 2005-20, FEDEA.
- Carlos Vidal-Meliá & Ana Lejárraga-García, .
"Demand for life annuities from married couples with a bequest motive,"
- Carlos Vidal-Melia & Ana Lejárraga-García, 2004. "Demand For Life Annuities From Married Couples With A Bequest Motive," Public Economics 0409009, EconWPA.
- Antoni Cunyat & Elena Casquel, 2004. "The Dynamics Of Temporary Jobs In Spain," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 141, Royal Economic Society.
- José M. Labeaga & Ester Martínez Ros, 2003.
"Persistence And Ability In The Innovation Decisions,"
Business Economics Working Papers
wb030101, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- José M. Labeaga & Ester Martínez Ros, . "Persistence and ability in the innovation decisions," Working Papers 2005-16, FEDEA.
- Franck Portier & Luis A. Puch, 2005.
"It’s a Small Small Welfare Cost of Fluctuations,"
Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico
0513, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- José M. Labeaga & Xisco Oliver & Amadéo Spadaro, 2005.
"Discrete choice models of labour suppluy, behavioural microsimulation and the Spanish tax reform,"
PSE Working Papers
- José Labeaga & Xisco Oliver & Amedeo Spadaro, 2008. "Discrete choice models of labour supply, behavioural microsimulation and the Spanish tax reforms," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 247-273, September.
- José M. Labeaga, Xisco Oliver & Xisco Oliver & Amedeo Spadaro, . "Discrete choice models of labour Supply, behavioural microsimulation and the Spanish tax reforms," Working Papers 2005-14, FEDEA.
- Namkee Ahn & Juan Ramón García & José A. Herce, . "Demographic Uncertainty and Health Care Expenditure in Spain," Working Papers 2005-07, FEDEA.
- Francisco Alvarez & Gustavo A. Marrero & Luis A. Puch, . "Air pollution and the macroeconomy across European countries," Working Papers 2005-10, FEDEA.
- Corinne Mette, . "New European Member States and the dependent elderly," Working Papers 2005-28, FEDEA.
- José Ramón Ruiz-Tamarit & Manuel Sánchez-Moreno, . "A Closer Look at the Comparative Statics in Competitive Markets," Working Papers 2005-13, FEDEA.
- Elena Casquel & Antoni Cunyat, . "The Welfare Cost of Business Cycles in an Economy with Nonclearing Markets," Working Papers 2005-19, FEDEA.
- Francisco Ledesma-Rodríguez & Manuel Navarro-Ibáñezr & Jorge Pérez-Rodríguez & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, . "Implicit regimes for the Spanish Peseta/Deutschmark exchange rate," Working Papers 2005-21, FEDEA.
- Corinne Mette, . "Wellbeing and dependency among European elderly: The role of social integration," Working Papers 2005-12, FEDEA.
- Namkee Ahn, . "Life Satisfaction among Spanish Workers: Importance of Intangible Job Characteristics," Working Papers 2005-17, FEDEA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.