Wellbeing and dependency among European elderly: The role of social integration
AbstractThis study aims at highlighting the importance of social integration on the well-being of dependent elderly living at home. This question is important because, as we can observe, favouring social activities is not a priority for social policies regarding dependent elderly in Europe. Now, social activities and contacts improve dependent elderly’s well-being. Therefore, as depression is one of the factors leading to a dependency situation, to attach greater importance to social measures favouring dependent elderly social integration should allow to decrease their depression rate and, consequently, should allow to decrease their demand for care too. The data used in this study stem from the European Community Household Panel (ECHP). Major results are: health perception is strongly and positively correlated with satisfaction with the main activity. The importance of the correlation decreases however a little when social integration variables are included in the model. Except for “owning a phone”, these latter variables have equally significant effects on satisfaction with the main activity. Dependent elderly who are member of a club, those who often meet their friends and relatives and those who often talk with their neighbours declare a higher satisfaction than the rest. Satisfaction is largely correlated with the country of residence. Dependent elderly from Southern countries and from Ireland declare to be less satisfied with their main activity than those from North or Central Europe. In terms of housing situation, having a comfortable dwelling leads to a higher satisfaction while living in a household composed by several persons leads to a lower satisfaction. The standard of living is linked with satisfaction: both household and personal income increase satisfaction. Lastly, dependency-related social transfers have no effect on satisfaction with the main activity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers with number 2005-12.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amalia Morales-Zumaquero & Simon Sosvilla-Rivero, .
"Structural Breaks in Volatility: Evidence from the OECD Real Exchange Rates,"
- Amalia Morales Zumaquero & Simón Sosvilla Rivero, 2005. "Structural Breaks in Volatility: Evidence for the OECD Real Exchange Rates," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2005/01, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Ana Carolina Ortega Masagué, . "La situación laboral de los inmigrantes en España: Un análisis descriptivo," Working Papers 2005-08, FEDEA.
- José A. Herce & Simón Sosvilla Rivero, . "EL NO-MAGREB. Implicaciones económicas para (y más allá de) la región," Working Papers 2005-06, FEDEA.
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso & Paola Profeta, .
"The Evolution of Retirement,"
- Conde-Ruiz, José Ignacio & Galasso, Vincenzo & Profeta, Paola, 2005. "The Evolution of Retirement," CEPR Discussion Papers 4863, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso & Paola Profeta, 2005. "The Evolution of Retirement," Working Papers 278, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Simón Sosvilla-Rivero & Sonia Pangusión, . "The real picture: Industry specific exchange rates for the euro area," Working Papers 2005-05, FEDEA.
- Joan Costa-Font & Joan Gil, 2004.
"Social interactions and the contemporaneous determinants of individuals' weight,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(20), pages 2253-2263.
- Joan Costa-Font & Joan Gil, . "Social interactions and the contemporaneous determinants of individuals’ weight," Working Papers 2004-19, FEDEA.
- Amelia Bilbao & Celia Bilbao & José M. Labeaga, . "The excess burden associated to characteristics of the goods: Application to housing demand," Working Papers 2005-09, FEDEA.
- Santiago Budría & Javier Díaz-Giménez, .
"Economic Inequality in Spain: The European Union Household Panel Dataset,"
- Santiago Budria & Javier Díaz-Jiménez, 2005. "Economic Inequality in Spain: The European Union Household Panel Dataset," Labor and Demography 0505001, EconWPA.
- Xavier Labandeira & José M. Labeaga & Miguel Rodríguez, 2005.
"A Residential Energy Demand System for Spain,"
- Boeri, Tito & Conde-Ruiz, J. Ignacio & Galasso, Vincenzo, 2004.
"Cross-Skill Redistribution and the Tradeoff between Unemployment Benefits and Employment Protection,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1371, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tito Boeri & Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso, 2004. "Cross-skill Redistribution and the Tradeoff between Unemployment Benefits and Employment Protection," Working Papers 271, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Boeri, Tito & Conde-Ruiz, José Ignacio & Galasso, Vincenzo, 2004. "Cross-Skill Redistribution and the Trade-Off Between Unemployment Benefits and Employment Protection," CEPR Discussion Papers 4711, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tito Boeri & J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso, . "Cross-skill Redistribution and the Tradeoff between Unemployment Benefits and Employment Protection," Working Papers 2004-26, FEDEA.
- Namkee Ahn, . "Economic Consequences of Widowhood in Europe: Cross-country and Gender Differences," Working Papers 2004-27, FEDEA.
- Carlos Vidal-Melia & Ana Lejárraga-García, 2004.
"Demand For Life Annuities From Married Couples With A Bequest Motive,"
- Carlos Vidal-Meliá & Ana Lejárraga-García, . "Demand for life annuities from married couples with a bequest motive," Working Papers 2005-11, FEDEA.
- J. Aznar-Márquez & J. R. Ruiz-Tamarit, . "Endogenous Growth, Capital Utilization and Depreciation," Working Papers 2004-21, FEDEA.
- Carolina Navarro & Luis Ayala & José Labeaga, 2010.
"Housing deprivation and health status: evidence from Spain,"
Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 555-582, June.
- Luis Ayala & José M. Labeaga & Carolina Navarro, . "housing deprivation and health status: evidence from Spain?," Working Papers 2005-02, FEDEA.
- Salvador Gil-Pareja & Rafael Llorca-Vivero & José A. Martínez-Serrano & Josep Oliver-Alonso, .
"The Border Effect in Spain,"
- Simon Sosvilla-Rivero & Pedro N. Rodríguez, .
"Linkages in international stock markets: Evidence from a classification procedure,"
- Simon Sosvilla-Rivero & Pedro Rodriguez, 2010. "Linkages in international stock markets: evidence from a classification procedure," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(16), pages 2081-2089.
- Namkee Ahn & Juan Ramón García & José A. Herce, . "Demographic Uncertainty and Health Care Expenditure in Spain," Working Papers 2005-07, FEDEA.
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Emma García, . "Demografía y empleo de los trabajadores próximos a la jubilación en Cataluña," Working Papers 2004-29, FEDEA.
- Francisco Alvarez & Gustavo A. Marrero & Luis A. Puch, . "Air pollution and the macroeconomy across European countries," Working Papers 2005-10, FEDEA.
- J. Aznar-Márquez & J. R. Ruiz-Tamarit, . "La política de cohesión europea y la economía española. Evaluación y prospectiva," Working Papers 2004-20, FEDEA.
- Ana Carolina Ortega Masagué, . "La Antigüedad en el Empleo y los Efectos del Ciclo Económico en los Salarios. El Caso Argentino," Working Papers 2004-25, FEDEA.
- Andrés J. Marchante Mera & Bienvenido Ortega Aguaza & José Sánchez Maldonado, 2006. "Las dimensiones del bienestar en las Comunidades Autónomas Españolas. Un análisis de Sigma y Gamma-Convergencia," Working Papers 2006-05, FEDEA.
- Pedro N. Rodríguez, & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, 2006. "Understanding and Forecasting Stock Price Changes," Working Papers 2006-03, FEDEA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.