Life Satisfaction among Spanish Workers: Importance of Intangible Job Characteristics
AbstractUsing the data from the Spanish survey on life quality at work, we examine the factors which affect Spanish workers’ life satisfaction. Our analysis shows that subjective intangible job characteristics, such as independence, social usefulness, pleasant work environment, pride, stress and the perception of receiving an adequate wage have substantial effects on the workers’ life satisfaction. Some evidence for the difficulties in work-life balance is also shown as we observe the negative effects of dependent children, long hours of work and commuting time to work.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers with number 2005-17.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2005-10-15 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-SOC-2005-10-15 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell & Paul Frijters, 2002. "How important is Methodology for the Estimates of the Determinants of Happiness?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-024/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso & Paola Profeta, 2005.
"The Evolution of Retirement,"
278, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Salvador Gil-Pareja & Rafael Llorca-Vivero & José A. Martínez-Serrano & Josep Oliver-Alonso, .
"The Border Effect in Spain,"
- Xavier Labandeira & José M. Labeaga & Miguel Rodríguez, 2005.
"A Residential Energy Demand System for Spain,"
0501, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- José Labeaga & Xisco Oliver & Amedeo Spadaro, 2008.
"Discrete choice models of labour supply, behavioural microsimulation and the Spanish tax reforms,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 247-273, September.
- José M. Labeaga & Xisco Oliver & Amadéo Spadaro, 2005. "Discrete choice models of labour suppluy, behavioural microsimulation and the Spanish tax reform," PSE Working Papers halshs-00590836, HAL.
- José M. Labeaga, Xisco Oliver & Xisco Oliver & Amedeo Spadaro, . "Discrete choice models of labour Supply, behavioural microsimulation and the Spanish tax reforms," Working Papers 2005-14, FEDEA.
- Tito Boeri & Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso, 2004.
"Cross-skill Redistribution and the Tradeoff between Unemployment Benefits and Employment Protection,"
271, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Boeri, Tito & Conde-Ruiz, José Ignacio & Galasso, Vincenzo, 2004. "Cross-Skill Redistribution and the Trade-Off Between Unemployment Benefits and Employment Protection," CEPR Discussion Papers 4711, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tito Boeri & J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso, . "Cross-skill Redistribution and the Tradeoff between Unemployment Benefits and Employment Protection," Working Papers 2004-26, FEDEA.
- Boeri, Tito & Conde-Ruiz, J. Ignacio & Galasso, Vincenzo, 2004. "Cross-Skill Redistribution and the Tradeoff between Unemployment Benefits and Employment Protection," IZA Discussion Papers 1371, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell & Paul Frijters, 2004. "How Important is Methodology for the estimates of the determinants of Happiness?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(497), pages 641-659, 07.
- Namkee Ahn & Juan Ramón García & José A. Herce, . "Demographic Uncertainty and Health Care Expenditure in Spain," Working Papers 2005-07, FEDEA.
- Ana Carolina Ortega Masagué, . "La Antigüedad en el Empleo y los Efectos del Ciclo Económico en los Salarios. El Caso Argentino," Working Papers 2004-25, FEDEA.
- José Ramón Ruiz-Tamarit & Manuel Sánchez-Moreno, . "A Closer Look at the Comparative Statics in Competitive Markets," Working Papers 2005-13, FEDEA.
- Andrés J. Marchante Mera & Bienvenido Ortega Aguaza & José Sánchez Maldonado, 2006. "Las dimensiones del bienestar en las Comunidades Autónomas Españolas. Un análisis de Sigma y Gamma-Convergencia," Working Papers 2006-05, FEDEA.
- Pedro N. Rodríguez, & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, 2006. "Understanding and Forecasting Stock Price Changes," Working Papers 2006-03, FEDEA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.