Intrapreneurship - An international study
AbstractThis paper presents the results of a novel international study of intrapreneurship ( i.e., employees developing new business activities for their employer), carried out in eleven countries in the framework of the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor. At the individual level, it is found that intrapreneurs are much more likely to have intentions to start a new independent business than other employees. However, at the macro level�the study finds a negative correlation between intrapreneurship and independent entrepreneurship. One explanation for these contrasting outcomes is�a diverging effect of per capita income on intrapreneurship (positive effect) and early-stage entrepreneurial activity (negative effect). �
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EIM Business and Policy Research in its series Scales Research Reports with number H201005.
Length: 0 pages
Date of creation: 12 Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 7001, 2701 AA Zoetermeer
Phone: (+31) 79 341 36 34
Fax: (+31) 79 341 50 24
Web page: http://www.entrepreneurship-sme.eu/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2010-01-30 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2010-01-30 (Entrepreneurship)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parker, Simon C, 2009. "Why do small firms produce the entrepreneurs?," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 484-494, June.
- Harry Bowen & Dirk DeClercq, 2008.
"Institutional context and the allocation of entrepreneurial effort,"
Global Entrepreneurship Monitor Working Paper Series
1103, Global Entrepreneurship Research Association, revised Jul 2008.
- Harry P Bowen & Dirk De Clercq, 2008. "Institutional context and the allocation of entrepreneurial effort," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(4), pages 747-767, June.
- Harry P Bowen & Dirk De Clercq, 2008. "Institutional context and the allocation of entrepreneurial effort," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(4), pages 768-768, June.
- Paul Reynolds & Niels Bosma & Erkko Autio & Steve Hunt & Natalie De Bono & Isabel Servais & Paloma Lopez-Garcia & Nancy Chin, 2005. "Global Entrepreneurship Monitor: Data Collection Design and Implementation 1998–2003," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 205-231, 02.
- Ghoshal, Sumantra & Hahn, Martin & Moran, Peter, 1999. "Management Competence, Firm Growth and Economic Progress," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(0), pages 121-50.
- Young Choi & Phillip Phan, 2006. "The Influences of Economic and Technology Policy on the Dynamics of New Firm Formation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 26(5), pages 493-503, 06.
- Erik Stam & Roy Thurik & Peter van der Zwan, 2010.
"Entrepreneurial exit in real and imagined markets,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 19(4), pages 1109-1139, August.
- Erik Stam & Roy Thurik & Peter van der Zwan, 2008. "Entrepreneurial Exit in Real and Imagined Markets," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 08-031/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 07 Dec 2009.
- Roy Thurik & F. Stam & Peter van der Zwan, 2007. "Entrepreneurial exit in real and imagined markets," Scales Research Reports H200720, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Hall, Peter A. & Soskice, David (ed.), 2001. "Varieties of Capitalism: The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199247752.
- Baumol, William J, 1990. "Entrepreneurship: Productive, Unproductive, and Destructive," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 893-921, October.
- Kuratko, Donald F., 2007. "Corporate Entrepreneurship," Foundations and Trends(R) in Entrepreneurship, now publishers, vol. 3(2), pages 151-203, May.
- Jeroen de Jong & Sander Wennekers, 2008. "Intrapreneurship; Conceptualizing entrepreneurial employee behaviour," Scales Research Reports H200802, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- José Antonio Belso Martínez, 2004. "Tasa óptima de empresarialidad y desarrollo económico. Evidencias para el caso español," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 31(2 Year 20), pages 207-225, December.
- André van Stel & Sander Wennekers & Jolanda Hessels & Chantal Hartog, 2011. "Global Entrepreneurship Monitor 2010 The Netherlands," Scales Research Reports A201108, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- André van Stel & Sander Wennekers & Jolanda Hessels & Peter van der Zwan, 2012. "Global Entrepreneurship Monitor 2011 The Netherlands," Scales Research Reports A201211, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Niels Bosma, 2012. "The Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM) and its Impact on Entrepreneurship Research," Global Entrepreneurship Monitor Working Paper Series 1201, Global Entrepreneurship Research Association, revised May 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster EIM).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.