Comparing Empirical Models of the Euro Economy
AbstractThis article presents a comparative analysis of four macroeconometric models whose proprietors participated in a model comparison conference focused on the new euro area economy. One model, the Area-Wide Model recently developed at the European Central Bank, treats the whole area as a single economy. The other three, MULTIMOD, NIGEM and QUEST, are established multicountry models that provide disaggregated analysis of questions of economic policy in Europe. Their structural characteristics and the results of two policy simulations are compared and contrasted. The principal source of simulation differences is the different degree of forward-looking behaviour incorporated in the models.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings with number 14.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Macroeconometric models; Multicountry models; Model comparisons; Simulation; Euro-area economy;
Other versions of this item:
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
- E1 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999.
"Inflation dynamics: A structural econometric analysis,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 195-222, October.
- Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1998. "Inflation dynamics: A structural econometric analysis," Economics Working Papers 341, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 2000. "Inflation Dynamics: A Structural Econometric Analysis," NBER Working Papers 7551, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stoker, Thomas M, 1986. "Simple Tests of Distributional Effects on Macroeconomic Equations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 763-95, August.
- Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler & J. David Lopez-Salido, 2001.
"European Inflation Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
8218, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Werner R�ger & Jan in 't Veld, 2002.
"Some selected simulation experiments with the European Commission's QUEST model,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
178, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Roeger, Werner & in 't Veld, Jan, 2004. "Some selected simulation experiments with the European commission's QUEST model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 785-832, September.
- Mitchell, Peter R. & Sault, Joanne E. & Wallis, Kenneth F., 2000. "Fiscal policy rules in macroeconomic models: principles and practice," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 171-193, April.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1994.
"Growth and Unemployment,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 477-94, July.
- Rudd, Jeremy & Whelan, Karl, 2005.
"New tests of the new-Keynesian Phillips curve,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 1167-1181, September.
- Dieppe, Alistair & Henry, Jerome, 2004. "The euro area viewed as a single economy: how does it respond to shocks?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 833-875, September.
- Turner, David S, 1991. "The Determinants of the Nairu Response in Simulations on the Treasury Model," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 53(3), pages 225-42, August.
- Douglas Laxton & Ben Hunt, 2003.
"Some Simulation Properties of the Major Euro Area Economies in MULTIMOD,"
IMF Working Papers
03/31, International Monetary Fund.
- Hunt, Benjamin & Laxton, Douglas, 2004. "Some simulation properties of the major euro area economies in MULTIMOD," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 759-783, September.
- Rudd, Jeremy & Whelan, Karl, 2002.
"Does the Labour Share of Income Drive Inflation?,"
Research Technical Papers
2/RT/02, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Christ, Carl F, 1975. "Judging the Performance of Econometric Models of the U.S. Economy," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 16(1), pages 54-74, February.
- Joyce, Michael & Wren-Lewis, Simon, 1991. "The Role of the Real Exchange Rate and Capacity Utilisation in Convergence to the Nairu," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(406), pages 497-507, May.
- Ravi Balakrishnan & J David Lopez-Salido, 2002. "Understanding UK inflation: the role of openness," Bank of England working papers 164, Bank of England.
- Mitchell, Peter R. & Sault, Joanne E. & Smith, Peter N. & Wallis, Kenneth F., 1998. "Comparing global economic models," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Ray Barrell & Bettina Becker & Joseph P Byrne & Sylvia Gottschalk & Ian Hurst & Desirée van Welsum, 2003.
"Macroeconomic Policy in Europe: Experiments with monetary responses and fiscal impulses,"
NIESR Discussion Papers
218, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Barrell, Ray & Becker, Bettina & Byrne, Joseph & Gottschalk, Sylvia & Hurst, Ian & van Welsum, Desiree, 2004. "Macroeconomic policy in Europe: experiments with monetary responses and fiscal impulses," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 877-931, September.
- Fagan, Gabriel & Henry, Jérôme & Mestre, Ricardo, 2001. "An area-wide model (AWM) for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0042, European Central Bank.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Michał Majsterek & Aleksander Welfe, 2012. "Price-wage nexus and the role of a tax system," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 121-133, February.
- Jerome Henry & Pablo Hernandez de Cos & Sandro Momigliano, 2004.
"The short-term impact of government budgets on prices; evidence from macroeconometric models,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
523, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Jérôme Henry & Pablo Hernández de Cos & Sandro Momigliano, 2004. "The short-term impact of government budgets on prices: evidence from macroeconometrics models," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0418, Banco de Espa�a.
- jerome henry & sandro momigliano & pablo hernandez de cos, 2005. "The short-term impact of government budgets on prices Evidence from macroeconometric models," Macroeconomics 0501020, EconWPA.
- Rosaria Rita Canale & Pasquale Foresti & Ugo Marani & Oreste Napolitano, 2007.
"On Keynesian effects of (apparent) non-Keynesian fiscal policies,"
8_2007, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Canale Rosaria Rita & Foresti Pasquale & Marani Ugo & Napolitano Oreste, 2008. "On keynesian effects of (apparent) non-keynesian fiscal policies," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 5-46.
- Canale, Rosaria Rita & Foresti, Pasquale & Marani, Ugo & Napolitano, Oreste, 2007. "On Keynesian effects of (apparent) non-Keynesian fiscal policies," MPRA Paper 3742, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2007.
- Jérôme Creel & Bruno Ducoudré & Catherine Mathieu & Henri Sterdyniak, 2005.
"Doit-on oublier la politique budgétaire ?. Une analyse critique de la nouvelle théorie anti-keynésienne des finances publiques,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 92(1), pages 43-97.
- Catherine Mathieu & Jérôme Creel & Henri Sterdyniak & Bruno Ducoudre, 2005. "Doit-on oublier la politique budgétaire? Une analyse critique de la nouvelle théorie anti-keynésienne des finances publiques," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/1769, Sciences Po.
- Mathieu, Catherine & Sterdyniak, Henri, 2009. "Global financial crisis: the French policy answer in a EU perspective," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4806, Paris Dauphine University.
- Andres Frick & Michael Graff & Jochen Hartwig & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2010. "Discretionary Fiscal Policy: The Case of Switzerland," KOF Working papers 10-253, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Catherine Mathieu & Henri Sterdyniak, 2009.
"Global financial crisis: the french policy answer in a EU perspective,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2009-32, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Catherine Mathieu & Henri Sterdyniak, 2009. "Global financial crisis: the french policy answer in a EU perspective," Sciences Po publications 2009-32, Sciences Po.
- Robert Kelm, 2010. "The Exchange Rate and Two Price Inflations in Poland in the Period 1999-2009. Do Globalization and Balassa-Samuelson Effect Matter?," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 2(4), pages 315-349, September.
- Carine Bouthevillain & John Caruana & Cristina Checherita & Jorge Cunha & Esther Gordo & Stephan Haroutunian & Amela Hubic & Geert Langenus & Bernhard Manzke & Javier J. Pérez & Pietro Tommasino, 2009. "Pros and Cons of various fiscal measures to stimulate the economy," BCL working papers 40, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
- Henry, Jerome & Hernandez de Cos, Pablo & Momigliano, Sandro, 2008. "The impact of government budgets on prices: Evidence from macroeconometric models," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 123-143.
- Henry, Jérôme & Hernández de Cos, Pablo & Momigliano, Sandro, 2004. "The short-term impact of government budgets on prices: evidence from macroeconomic models," Working Paper Series 0396, European Central Bank.
- Heilemann, Ullrich & Findeis, Hagen, 2012. "Empirical determination of aggregate demand and supply curves: The example of the RWI Business Cycle Model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 158-165.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.