Productivity Growth, Wage Setting and the Equilibrium Rate of Unemployment
AbstractThis paper argues that one cannot tell a convincing story of the rise in OECD unemployment without mentioning the slowdown in productivity and real wage growth that occurred in the 1970s. It is argued that whereas most authors have regarded any effects of the slowdown on unemployment as temporary while "real wage resistance" is overcome, there is no theoretical reason to believe that this is the case. This point was illustrated using dynamic union bargaining model. This model also suggested that a Phillips Curve was appropriate as an empirical wage equation. For most OECD countries such a wage equation works well, and the slowdown in real wage growth does appear to have been important in explaining the rise in unemployment.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Performance, LSE in its series CEP Discussion Papers with number dp0063.
Date of creation: Mar 1992
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/series.asp?prog=CEP
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gylfi Zoega, 2009.
"Employment and Asset Prices,"
wp46, Department of Economics, Central bank of Iceland.
- Yu-Fu Chen & Dennis Snower & Gylfi Zoega, 2003.
"Labour-market Institutions and Macroeconomic Shocks,"
CEIS, vol. 17(2), pages 247-270, 06.
- Chen, Yu-Fu & Snower, Dennis J. & Zoega, Gylfi, 2002. "Labour Market Institutions and Macroeconomic Shocks," CEPR Discussion Papers 3480, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yu-Fu Chen & Dennis Snower & Gylfi Zoega, 2001. "Labour Market Institutions and Macroeconomic Shocks," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 123, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Chen, Yu-Fu & Snower, Dennis J. & Zoega, Gylfi, 2002. "Labour-Market Institutions and Macroeconomic Shocks," IZA Discussion Papers 539, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hatton, Timothy J., 2002.
"Can Productivity Growth Explain NAIRU? Long-run Evidence from Britain, 1871-1999,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3424, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Timothy J. Hatton, 2007. "Can Productivity Growth Explain the NAIRU? Long-Run Evidence from Britain, 1871-1999," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 74(295), pages 475-491, 08.
- Edmund S. Phelps, 1998. "Designing a Capitalist Economy for Fast Growth and High Employment in Today's Globalized World Economy," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 87-103, November.
- Thomas Dalsgaard & Jørgen Elmeskov & Cyn-Young Park, 2002.
"Ongoing Changes in the Business Cycle: Evidence and Causes,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
315, OECD Publishing.
- Thomas Dalsgaard & Jørgen Elmeskov & Cyn-Young Park, 2002. "Ongoing changes in the business cycle - evidence and causes," SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 20 edited by Morten Balling.
- Arestis, Philip & Mariscal, Iris Biefang-Frisancho, 1998.
"Capital shortages and asymmetries in UK unemployment,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 189-204, June.
- Philip Arestis & Iris Biefang-Frisancho Mariscal, . "Capital Shortages and Asymmetries in UK Unemployment," Working Papers 9607, University of East London, Department of Economics.
- Martin Neil Baily & Eric J. Bartelsman & John Haltiwanger, 1994.
"Downsizing and Productivity Growth: Myth or Reality?,"
NBER Working Papers
4741, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baily, Martin Neil & Bartelsman, Eric J & Haltiwanger, John, 1996. " Downsizing and Productivity Growth: Myth or Reality?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 259-78, August.
- John Haltiwanger & Martin N Baily & Eric J Bartelsman, 1994. "Downsizing and Productivity Growth: Myth or Reality?," Working Papers 94-4, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Martin N. Baily & Eric J. Bartelsman & John Haltiwanger, 1994. "Downsizing and productivity growth: myth or reality?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-7, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Florence Thibault & Yannick L'Horty, 1997. "Le Nairu en France : les insuffisances d'une courbe de Phillips," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 127(1), pages 83-99.
- Campbell leith & Chol-Won Li, 2001. "Unemployment and the Productivity Slowdown: A Labour Supply Perspective," Working Papers 2001_13, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Roeger, Werner & Wijkander, Hans, 2000. "Unemployment in Europe: Swimming against the Tide of Skill-Biased Technical Progress without Relative Wage Adjustment," Research Papers in Economics 2000:9, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.