Foreign Direct Investment And Exchange Rate Uncertainty In Imperfectly Competitive Industries
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationship between exchange rate uncertainty and the location of US foreign direct investment in Europe. We adopt a mean-variance approach to the standard q theory of investment in order to highlight the impact of exchange rate volatility and exchange rate correlation on investment. A firm concerned with both maximizing profits and minimizing risk would exploit any correlation between exchange rate movements to reduce the variance of its total profit. We estimate US foreign investment in the UK and in Continental Europe in a panel of seven manufacturing industries. Our results show that US firms investing in Europe tend to be risk-averse and decrease their investments as exchange rate volatility rises. Market power does not seem to reduce the effects of exchange rate volatility on FDI. We found strong evidence that the UK is the preferred European location for US investors, since an increase in the correlation between the sterling dollar exchange rate and the euro dollar exchange rate tends to relocate US investment from the Euro Zone to the UK.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Royal Economic Society in its series Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 with number 64.
Date of creation: 17 Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/society/annualconf.asp
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Sylvia Gottschalk & R. Barrel & S.G. Hall, 2004. "Foreign direct investment and exchange rate uncertainty in imperfectly competitive industries," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 39, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Ray Barrell & Stephen Hall & Sylvia Gottschalk, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment and Exchange Rate Uncertainty in Imperfectly Competitive Industries," NIESR Discussion Papers 220, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cushman, David O, 1985. "Real Exchange Rate Risk, Expectations, and the Level of Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(2), pages 297-308, May.
- Benassy-Quere, AgnEs & Fontagne, Lionel & LahrEche-Revil, Amina, 2001. "Exchange-Rate Strategies in the Competition for Attracting Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 178-198, June.
- Campa, Jose & Goldberg, Linda, 1995.
"Investment, Pass-Through and Exchange-Rates: A Cross-Country Comparison,"
95-14, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Campa, Jose Manuel & Goldberg, Linda S, 1999. "Investment, Pass-Through, and Exchange Rates: A Cross-Country Comparison," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 287-314, May.
- Jose Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1996. "Investment, pass-through, and exchange rates: a cross-country comparison," Staff Reports 14, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Jose Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1995. "Investment, Pass-Through and Exchange Rates: A Cross-Country Comparison," NBER Working Papers 5139, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldberg, L.S. & Campa, J., 1993.
"Investment in Manufacturing, Exchange-Rate and External Exposure,"
93-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Campa, Jose & Goldberg, Linda S., 1995. "Investment in manufacturing, exchange rates and external exposure," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 297-320, May.
- Jose Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1993. "Investment in Manufacturing, Exchange-Rates and External Exposure," NBER Working Papers 4378, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Fumio Hayashi, 1981.
"Tobin's Marginal q and Average a : A Neoclassical Interpretation,"
457, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hayashi, Fumio, 1982. "Tobin's Marginal q and Average q: A Neoclassical Interpretation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 213-24, January.
- Nucci, F. & Pozzolo, A.F., 1998.
"Investment and the Exchange Rate,"
344, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- Fedderke, J.W. & Romm, A.T., 2006.
"Growth impact and determinants of foreign direct investment into South Africa, 1956-2003,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 738-760, September.
- Johannes Fedderke & A.T. Romm, 2004. "Growth Impact and Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment into South Africa, 1956-2003," Working Papers 12, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Matthias Busse & Carsten Hefeker & Signe Nelgen, 2013.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Exchange Rate Regimes,"
AccessEcon, vol. 33(1), pages 843-858.
- Matthias Busse & Carsten Hefeker & Signe Nelgen, 2010. "Foreign Direct Investment and Exchange Rate Regimes," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201015, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Busse, Matthias & Hefeker, Carsten & Nelgen, Signe, 2010. "Foreign direct investment and exchange rate regimes," HWWI Research Papers 2-17, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Matthias Busse & Carsten Hefeker & Signe Nelgen, 2010. "Foreign direct investment and exchange rate regimes," Volkswirtschaftliche DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 141-10, Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht.
- Ray Barrell & Sylvia Gottschalk & Dawn Holland & Ehsan Khoman & Iana Liadze & Olga Pomerantz, 2008. "The impact of EMU on growth and employment," European Economy - Economic Papers 318, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.