The Effects of the Exchange Rate on Japanese Firms' Investment: An Analysis with Firm-Level Data
AbstractAlthough the effects of the exchange rate on firms' investment were mostly analyzed with semi-macro data by industry, in recent years analyses using firm-level panel data have been developed. Nucci and Pozzolo (2001) analyzed using Italian firm-level panel data and reported that an appreciation of the exchange rate has a negative effect on firms' investment as its export ratio is higher, whereas it has a positive effect on firms' investment as their import ratio is higher. Furthermore, the effects of the appreciation of the exchange rate on investment are stronger in firms with low market power and facing the financial constraints. This paper analyzes the effects of an appreciation of the yen on investment with Japanese firm-level panel data, and a similar result to Nucci and Pozzolo's (2001) was obtained. It also conducted a simulation using the empirical results and showed, in five industries with high export ratio, the real investment decreases by 0.45% to 0.95% point to 1% point appreciation of the real effective exchange rate, whereas in the industry of petroleum products and coal products, real investment increases by 1.36% point to 1% point appreciation of the real effective exchange rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan in its journal Public Policy Review.
Volume (Year): 8 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 (November)
investment; exchange rate; export ratio; import ratio;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nucci, F. & Pozzolo, A.F., 1998.
"Investment and the Exchange Rate,"
344, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Yoichi Matsubayashi, 2009.
"Exchange Rate, Expected Profit, and Capital Stock Adjustment: Japanese Experience,"
0828, Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University.
- Yoichi Matsubayashi, 2011. "Exchange Rate, Expected Profit And Capital Stock Adjustment: Japanese Experience," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 62(2), pages 215-247, 06.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Campa, Jose & Goldberg, Linda S., 1995.
"Investment in manufacturing, exchange rates and external exposure,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 297-320, May.
- Jose Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1993. "Investment in Manufacturing, Exchange-Rates and External Exposure," NBER Working Papers 4378, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campa, Jose Manuel & Goldberg, Linda S, 1999.
"Investment, Pass-Through, and Exchange Rates: A Cross-Country Comparison,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 287-314, May.
- Jose Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1996. "Investment, pass-through, and exchange rates: a cross-country comparison," Staff Reports 14, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Jose Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1995. "Investment, Pass-Through and Exchange Rates: A Cross-Country Comparison," NBER Working Papers 5139, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2005. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 25-51, May.
- Kazuo Ogawa, 2003. "Financial Distress and Corporate Investment: The Japanese Case in the 90s," ISER Discussion Paper 0584, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Policy Research Institute).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.