The balanced scorecard as a knowledge management tool: a French experience in a semi-public insurance company
AbstractIn this paper we present the Balanced Scorecard, a Strategic Control tool, which is quite famous all around the world and in the European countries. Its principle objective is to articulate planning decisions with control ones thanks to non-financial indicators. The Strategic Control and the Agency Theories constitute the foundation of this tool. But in Northern Europe, some specific Balanced Scorecard have been designed in the framework of the Knowledge Management Theory. To work, the Balanced Scorecard needs a sophisticated information system support.Using two theoretical backgrounds, the Strategic Control approach and the Knowledge Management Theory, we analyse the relevance of the Balanced Scorecard. More particularly, we present the French situation. First, we show that the French managers believe that the Balanced Scorecard is a relevant management instrument to drive the firm’s objectives. Second, we describe the Balanced Scorecard of a semi-public French insurance company.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université de Bourgogne - Leg (laboratoire d'économie et de gestion)/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance) in its series Working Papers FARGO with number 1080902.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2 Bd Gabriel, BP 26611, 21066 Dijon Cedex, France
Web page: http://leg.u-bourgogne.fr/
Postal: Gérard Charreaux, Fargo-Leg, Université de Bourgogne 2 Bd Gabriel, BP 26611, 21066 Dijon Cedex, France
Other versions of this item:
- Grégory Wegmann, 2008. "The balanced scorecard as a knowledge management tool: a French experience in a semi-public insurance company," Post-Print halshs-00482136, HAL.
- M40 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2008-11-11 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2008-11-11 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-IAS-2008-11-11 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-KNM-2008-11-11 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bromwich, Michael, 1990. "The case for strategic management accounting: The role of accounting information for strategy in competitive markets," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 27-46.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Odile Ferry).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.