Management Accounting for Service: A Research Agenda
AbstractPurpose – The purpose of the paper is to point out a research agenda for Management Accounting under the emergent Service-Dominant (S-D) Logic. S-D Logic is widely discussed in the field of Marketing, the paper tries to extend S-D Logic in the Management Accounting context and develops some related considerations. Methodology/approach – Service related change in economy and firms raises new challenging issues in management accounting topics such as cost classification, cost structure, cost object, the role of “traditional” accounting tools and models, price-cost relations for pricing decisions. In this paper, we identify several critical research questions that address a tentative research agenda in the field of management accounting to better explore its role within service science. Throughout the paper many different examples are provided in order to support what is sustained. Findings – The conclusions of the paper trace some aspects addressed as core in the distinction between Goods-Dominant Accounting and Service-Dominant Accounting. Considering the new changing service environment, the role of management accounting in providing information to support managerial decision making and control can be widely renewed. Research implications – The paper opens many underexplored topics on Management accounting in the interface with service and traces a research agenda for further research. Originality/value – This is the first paper, after the brief overview on accounting and Service Science provided by Kerr (2008), aiming at understanding the role of Management accounting in the context of S-D Logic.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna of Pisa, Istituto di Management in its series Working Papers with number 201102.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2011
Date of revision:
Service-Dominant Logic; Management Accounting; Costing; Measurement; Value.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
- L80 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-03 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonella Cugini & Antonella Caru & Fabrizio Zerbini, 2007. "The Cost of Customer Satisfaction: A Framework for Strategic Cost Management in Service Industries," European Accounting Review, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 499-530.
- Bromwich, Michael, 1990. "The case for strategic management accounting: The role of accounting information for strategy in competitive markets," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 27-46.
- Kim Langfield-Smith, 2008. "Strategic management accounting: how far have we come in 25 years?," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 21(2), pages 204-228, February.
- Vandermerwe, Sandra & Rada, Juan, 1988. "Servitization of business: Adding value by adding services," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 314-324, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gaetano Esposito).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.