Taxation and Labor Supply of Married Women across Countries: A Macroeconomic Analysis
AbstractWe document contemporaneous differences in the aggregate labor supply of married couples across 19 OECD countries. We quantify the contribution of international differences in non-linear labor income taxes and consumption taxes, as well as male and female wages, to the international differences in the data. Our model replicates the comparatively small differences of married men's hours worked very well. Moreover, taxes and wages account for a large part of the observed substantial differences in married women's labor supply between the US and Western, Eastern, and Northern Europe, but cannot explain the low labor supply of married women in Southern Europe.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 9115.
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E60 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- H31 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - Household
- J12 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Marriage; Marital Dissolution; Family Structure
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEM-2012-09-09 (Demographic Economics)
- NEP-EEC-2012-09-09 (European Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2012-09-09 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-LAB-2012-09-09 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2012-09-09 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guner, Nezih & Kaygusuz, Remzi & Ventura, Gustavo, 2012.
"Income Taxation of U.S. Households: Facts and Parametric Estimates,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9078, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nezih Guner & Remzi Kaygusuz & Gustavo Ventura, 2013. "Income Taxation of U.S. Households: Facts and Parametric Estimates," Working Papers 705, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.