Anemia and Child Education: The Case of Colombia
AbstractWelfare programs in Colombia have been focused on reducing malnutrition and hunger and on increasing school attendance rates. However, there is not much evidence on the hypothesized relationship between nutrition and education. Using the National Survey of Nutritional Status in Colombia - 2005 (ENSIN) and the Demographic and Health Survey -2005 (DHS), this paper estimates the impact of nutrition on schooling outcomes. The results suggest that anemic children have a higher probability of lagging behind in school. Malnutrition, defined by anthropometric measures, does not have an impact on schooling lags. School attendance seems to be unrelated to nutrition measures. The results are consistent under different specifications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE in its series DOCUMENTOS CEDE with number 007610.
Date of creation: 26 Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
school attendance; schooling lag; nutrition; micronutrients;
Other versions of this item:
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2010-10-30 (Development)
- NEP-EDU-2010-10-30 (Education)
- NEP-LAB-2010-10-30 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LAM-2010-10-30 (Central & South America)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric A. Hanushek & Ludger Woessmann, 2007.
"The Role of School Improvement in Economic Development,"
NBER Working Papers
12832, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Ludger Woessmann, 2007. "The Role of School Improvement in Economic Development," CESifo Working Paper Series 1911, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gustavo J. Bobonis & Edward l Miguel & Charu Puri-Sharma, 2006.
"Anaemia and School Participation,"
- Bhargava, Alok & Jamison, Dean T. & Lau, Lawrence J. & Murray, Christopher J. L., 2001. "Modeling the effects of health on economic growth," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 423-440, May.
- Alcazar, Lorena, 2013. "The economic impact of anaemia in Peru," Libros, Grupo de Análisis para el Desarrollo (GRADE), edition 1, number 2013-1-en, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Universidad De Los Andes-Cede).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.