Visitors’ experience in a modern art museum: a structural equation model
AbstractThis study aims to provide a better understanding on the museum experience by studying visitors’ motivation, satisfaction and likelihood to return to the Museum for Modern and Contemporary Art (MART) of Rovereto (Italy). The empirical data were obtained from a survey undertaken from September to November 2009. A theoretical model to analyze the attractiveness factors of the museum based on two exogenous variables (push and pull motivation) and two endogenous variables (satisfaction and loyalty) is used and a structural equation model is estimated as a confirmatory tool of the hypothetical model. The findings reveal that tourists visiting the MART are mainly motivated by push factors, as relaxation, looking for a new experience and learn new things. Loyalty also positively influences the probability to return to the MART and recommend to friends and family. However, visit the city or the region of Trentino has no impact on satisfaction and loyalty to the MART. Besides, loyalty to MART does not imply the probability to recommend a visit to Rovereto.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia in its series Working Paper CRENoS with number 201026.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
loyalty; sem; museum; customer’s motivation; satisfaction; probability to return and recommend;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C19 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Other
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CUL-2011-01-03 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-MKT-2011-01-03 (Marketing)
- NEP-TUR-2011-01-03 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William Luksetich & Mark Partridge, 1997. "Demand functions for museum services," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(12), pages 1553-1559.
- David Maddison & Terry Foster, 2003. "Valuing congestion costs in the British Museum," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(1), pages 173-190, January.
- Roberto Cellini & Tiziana Cuccia, 2013.
"Museum and monument attendance and tourism flow: a time series analysis approach,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(24), pages 3473-3482, August.
- Cellini, Roberto & Cuccia, Tiziana, 2009. "Museum and monument attendance and tourism flow: A time series analysis approach," MPRA Paper 18908, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Maddison, 2004. "Causality and Museum Subsidies," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 89-108, May.
- Lampi, Elina & Orth, Matilda, 2008.
"Who visits the museums? A comparison between stated preferences and observed effects of entrance fees,"
Working Papers in Economics
298, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Elina Lampi & Matilda Orth, 2009. "Who Visits the Museums? A Comparison between Stated Preferences and Observed Effects of Entrance Fees," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 85-102, 02.
- Victor Ginsburgh & David Throsby, 2006.
"Handbook of the economics of art and culture,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/1673, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Beatriz Plaza, 2006. "The Return on Investment of the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(2), pages 452-467, 06.
- Beatriz Plaza, 2008. "On Some Challenges and Conditions for the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao to be an Effective Economic Re-activator," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(2), pages 506-517, 06.
- Frey, Bruno S. & Meier, Stephan, 2006.
"The Economics of Museums,"
Handbook of the Economics of Art and Culture,
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonello Pau).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.