Reforming European Universities: Scope for an Evidence-Based Process
AbstractUniversities are key players in the successful transition to a knowledge-based economy and society. However, this crucial sector of society needs restructuring if Europe is not to lose out in the global competition in education, research and innovation. To allow a more evidence based process of reforms of higher education, this contribution reviews the trends in performance, funding and governance of European universities. It also brings on board some evidence on support for the reform process. The analysis shows that, while EU universities have improved their quantitative performance on teaching and research, it needs to further improve especially on the quality dimension. The link between governance, funding and performance is not obvious and needs still further data and research. Nevertheless, the preliminary evidence so far seems to suggest that society supports a multitude of university structures, to respond to a heterogeneous set of preferences. This calls for granting universities the space and thrust to develop autonomously their own strategies and structures. Public and private stakeholders should provide the funds for universities to develop their agenda, while holding them accountability for delivering results. Establishing a large, integrated market for higher education and research in Europe, would provide an environment for European universities to develop their comparative advantages, making them stronger players on the world scene.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 2298.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
university reform; governance; autonomy; funding; competition;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I23 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Higher Education; Research Institutions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romina Boarini, 2008. "Investment in Tertiary Education: Main Determinants and Implications for Policy," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 54(2), pages 277-312, June.
- Jacobs, Bas & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 2005.
"Guide to Reform of Higher Education: A European Perspective,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5327, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bas Jacobs & Frederick van der Ploeg, 2006. "Guide to reform of higher education: a European perspective," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 21(47), pages 535-592, 07.
- Philippe Aghion & Mathias Dewatripont & Caroline Hoxby & Andreu Mas-Colell & AndrÃ© Sapir, 2007.
"Why Reform Europe's Universities?,"
- Philippe Aghion & Mathias Dewatripont & Caroline Hoxby & Andreu Mas-Colell & André Sapir, 2008. "Why reform Europe's universities," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/101651, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- André Sapir & Philippe Aghion & Mathias Dewatripont & Caroline Hoxby & Andreu Mas-Colell, 2007. "Why reform Europe's universities," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8100, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Paula E. Stephan, 1996. "The Economics of Science," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(3), pages 1199-1235, September.
- Boarini, Romina & Strauss, Hubert & de la Maisonneuve, Christine & Nicoletti, Giuseppe & Oliveira Martins, Joaquim, 2008. "Investment in Tertiary Education : Main Determinants and Implications for Policy," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7987, Paris Dauphine University.
- Frederick van der Ploeg, 2008. "Towards Evidence-based Reform of European Universities," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 54(2), pages 99-120, June.
- Lisa Grazzini & Annalisa Luporini & Alessandro Petretto, 2011.
"Competition between State Universities,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3373, CESifo Group Munich.
- Quentin David, 2010. "Comparaison Internationale des Modes d’Organisation et de Financement de l’Enseignement Supérieur," CREA Discussion Paper Series 10-24, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.