The European university landscape: A micro characterization based on evidence from the Aquameth project
AbstractThis paper provides a new and systematic characterization of 488 universities, from 11 European countries: Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland and UK. Using micro indicators built on the integrated Aquameth database, we characterize the European university landscape according to the following dimensions: history/foundation of university, dynamics of growth, specialization pattern, subject mix, funding composition, offer profile and productivity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research Policy.
Volume (Year): 40 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/respol
Universities Size Growth Productivity Specialization Differentiation;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laura Thissen & Sjef Ederveen, 2006. "Higher education; time for coordination on a European level?," CPB Discussion Paper 68, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Frederick van der Ploeg, 2008. "Towards Evidence-based Reform of European Universities," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 54(2), pages 99-120, June.
- Bruno S. Frey & Katja Rost, 2008.
"Do Rankings Reflect Research Quality?,"
CREMA Working Paper Series
2008-22, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Bruno S. Frey & Katja Rost, 2008. "Do Rankings Reflect Research Quality?," CESifo Working Paper Series 2443, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bruno S. Frey & Katja Rost, 2008. "Do Rankings Reflect Research Quality?," IEW - Working Papers 390, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Cinzia Daraio & Benedetto Lepori & Stig Slipers�ter, 2007. "Indicators on individual higher education institutions: addressing data problems and comparability issues," Research Evaluation, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(2), pages 66-78, June.
- Boarini, Romina & Strauss, Hubert & de la Maisonneuve, Christine & Nicoletti, Giuseppe & Oliveira Martins, Joaquim, 2008. "Investment in Tertiary Education : Main Determinants and Implications for Policy," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7987, Paris Dauphine University.
- Ehrenberg, R.G.Ronald G., 2004. "Econometric studies of higher education," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 121(1-2), pages 19-37.
- Philippe Aghion & Mathias Dewatripont & Caroline Hoxby & Andreu Mas-Colell & AndrÃ© Sapir, . "Higher aspirations: an agenda for reforming European universities," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 1, December.
- Marsh, L.C.Lawrence C., 2004. "The econometrics of higher education: editor's view," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 121(1-2), pages 1-18.
- Dundar, Halil & Lewis, Darrell R., 1995. "Departmental productivity in American universities: Economies of scale and scope," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 119-144, June.
- Scott E. Masten, 2006. "Authority and Commitment: Why Universities, Like Legislatures, Are Not Organized as Firms," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 649-684, 09.
- Romina Boarini, 2008. "Investment in Tertiary Education: Main Determinants and Implications for Policy," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 54(2), pages 277-312, June.
- Sarrico, C. S. & Dyson, R. G., 2004. "Restricting virtual weights in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(1), pages 17-34, November.
- Jacobs, Bas & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 2005.
"Guide to Reform of Higher Education: A European Perspective,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5327, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bas Jacobs & Frederick van der Ploeg, 2006. "Guide to reform of higher education: a European perspective," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 21(47), pages 535-592, 07.
- Bianca Pot� & Emanuela Reale, 2007. "Changing allocation models for public research funding: An empirical exploration based on project funding data," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(6), pages 417-430, July.
- Claudia Curi & Cinzia Daraio & Patrick Llerena, 2013. "What is the productivity change of a university TTOs system at its early stage of development? Evidence from France," DIAG Technical Reports 2013-03, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Claudia Curi & Cinzia Daraio & Maria Patrick Llerena, 2012.
"University Technology Transfer: How (in-)efficient are French universities?,"
DIS Technical Reports
2012-02, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Claudia Curi & Cinzia Daraio & Patrick Llerena, 2012. "University technology transfer: how (in)efficient are French universities?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(3), pages 629-654.
- Claudia Curi & Cinzia Daraio & Patrick Llerena, 2012. "University Technology Transfer: How (in-)efficient are French universities?," Working Papers of BETA 2012-02, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Immaculada Vilardell Riera & Gonzalo Rodríguez-Pérez, 2011. "La adaptación al entorno de las universidades españolas," Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación volume 6, in: Antonio Caparrós Ruiz (ed.), Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación 6, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 36, pages 577-592 Asociación de Economía de la Educación.
- Cinzia Daraio & Giancarlo Ruocco, 2012. "An Empirical Approach to Compare the Performance of Heterogeneous Academic Fields," DIAG Technical Reports 2012-03, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Daraio, Cinzia & Moed, Henk F., 2011. "Is Italian science declining?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 1380-1392.
- Wipo, 2011. "World Intellectual Property Report 2011- The Changing Face of Innovation," WIPO Economics & Statistics Series, World Intellectual Property Organization - Economics and Statistics Division, number 2011:944, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.