Why reform Europe's universities
AbstractBased on a survey of European universities, this policy brief states that despite the good performance of some countries, Europe as a whole trails the US by a wide margin. The reason is two-fold. First, Europe invests too little in higher education. Second, European universities suffer from poor governance, insufficient autonomy and often perverse incentives. If Europe is to be a leader in the global knowledge economy, comprehensive reform of higher education is the order of the day. Most countries should invest an extra one percent in higher education each year, and universities should be given more autonomy in budgets, hiring and remuneration.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series ULB Institutional Repository with number 2013/8100.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in: Bruegel Policy Brief (2007) v.2007-04
Other versions of this item:
- Philippe Aghion & Mathias Dewatripont & Caroline Hoxby & Andreu Mas-Colell & AndrÃ© Sapir, 2007. "Why Reform Europe's Universities?," Policy Briefs 34, Bruegel.
- Philippe Aghion & Mathias Dewatripont & Caroline Hoxby & Andreu Mas-Colell & André Sapir, 2008. "Why reform Europe's universities," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/101651, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andreas Bühn & Alexander Karmann, 2008. "Hochschulentwicklung in Sachsen : einige ordnungspolitische Gedanken," ifo Dresden berichtet, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 15(05), pages 38-42, October.
- Reinhilde Veugelers (ed.), 2009. "The Evaluation of the Finnish National Innovation System - Full Report," Books, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy, number 495.
- Mauro Sylos Labini & Natalia Zinovyeva, 2009.
"Stimulating Graduates' Research-Oriented Careers: Does Academic Research Matter ?,"
LEM Papers Series
2009/12, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Mauro Sylos Labini & Natalia Zinovyeva, 2011. "Stimulating graduates' research-oriented careers: does academic research matter?," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(1), pages 337-365, February.
- Mauro Sylos Labini & Natalia Zinovyeva, 2009. "Stimulating Graduates' Research-Oriented Careers: Does Academic Research Matter?," Working Papers 2009-21, FEDEA.
- Jean-Luc Gaffard, 2011. "L’économie de l’enseignement supérieur et de la recherche. De la nécessité de marcher sur ses deux jambes," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/eu4vqp9ompq, Sciences Po.
- Heinz Hollenstein, 2013. "Wirtschaftliche Rahmenbedingungen als Element der Innovationspolitik," KOF Analysen, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich, vol. 7(2), pages 47-55, June.
- Karine Gauche & Ariel Eggrickx, 2012. "Pilotage de la recherche à l'université : premiers résultats d'une étude de cas enchâssés," Post-Print hal-00936651, HAL.
- Meacci, Ferdinando, 2008. "The new Italian graduation system and the new institutions for raising university funds in Italy," MPRA Paper 13328, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 09 Feb 2009.
- Alex Coad, 2008.
"Distance to Frontier and Appropriate Business Strategy,"
LEM Papers Series
2008/13, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Alex Coad, 2008. "Distance to Frontier and Appropriate Business Strategy," DRUID Working Papers 08-05, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Alexander Coad, 2008. "Distance to Frontier and Appropriate Business Strategy," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2008-07, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Berbegal-Mirabent, Jasmina & Lafuente, Esteban & Solé, Francesc, 2013. "The pursuit of knowledge transfer activities: An efficiency analysis of Spanish universities," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(10), pages 2051-2059.
- Karine Gauche & Ariel Eggrickx, 2012. "Pilotage de la recherche à l'université: premiers résultats d'une étude de cas enchâssés," Post-Print hal-00766939, HAL.
- Ana Hidalgo & Amparo Castelló-Climent, 2010.
"Quality and Quantity of Education in the Process of Development,"
2010 Meeting Papers
238, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Amparo Castelló-Climent & Ana Hidalgo-Cabrillana, 2010. "Quality and quantity of education in the process of development," Economics Working Papers we1020, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Havas, Attila, 2011. "Multiple futures for higher education in a multi-level structure," MPRA Paper 38117, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhilde Veugelers & Frederick Van der Ploeg, 2008. "Reforming European Universities: Scope for an Evidence-Based Process," CESifo Working Paper Series 2298, CESifo Group Munich.
- Philippe Aghion & Mathias Dewatripont & Caroline M. Hoxby & Andreu Mas-Colell & André Sapir, 2009. "The Governance and Performance of Research Universities: Evidence from Europe and the U.S," NBER Working Papers 14851, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.