A Politico-Economic Analysis of Minimum Wages and Wage Subsidies
AbstractIn this paper we construct a political economy model in which minimum wages are determined according to the wishes of the median voter. Using the minimum wage scheme as the status quo, we show that the replacement of minimum wages by wage subsidies guaranteeing the same (pre-tax) level of income (achieved by the government supplementing the wage income of workers by a subsidy equal to the difference between the competitive wage rate and the minimum wage rate), is not likely to receive political support unless it is supplemented by increased taxation of profits (after-tax profits are also likely to increase). Moreover, we show that the likelihood of implementation of wage subsidies is undermined by the existence of a heterogeneous labour force.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 1810.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
minimum wages; wage subsidies; median voter; political economy;
Other versions of this item:
- Adam, Antonis & Moutos, Thomas, 2011. "A politico-economic analysis of minimum wages and wage subsidies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 110(3), pages 171-173, March.
- NEP-ALL-2006-10-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2006-10-14 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2006-10-14 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-POL-2006-10-14 (Positive Political Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Orszag, J. Michael & Snower, Dennis J., 2003. "Designing employment subsidies," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 557-572, October.
- Neumark, David & Wascher, William L., 2007.
"Minimum Wages and Employment,"
Foundations and Trends(R) in Microeconomics,
now publishers, vol. 3(1â2), pages 1-182, March.
- Andreas Knabe & Ronnie Schöb & Joachim Weimann, 2006. "Marginal Employment Subsidization: A New Concept and a Reappraisal," CESifo Working Paper Series 1707, CESifo Group Munich.
- Juan J. Dolado & Florentino Felgueroso & Juan F. Jimeno, 2000.
"The Role of the Minimum Wage in the Welfare State: An Appraisal,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 136(III), pages 223-245, September.
- Dolado, Juan José & Felgueroso, Florentino & Jimeno, Juan F., 2000. "The Role of the Minimum Wage in the Welfare State: An Appraisal," IZA Discussion Papers 152, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dolado, Juan J. & Felgueroso, Florentino & Jimeno, Juan Francisco, 2000. "The Role Of The Minimum Wage In The Welfare State: An Appraisal," CEPR Discussion Papers 2452, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dolado, Juan José & Felgueroso, Florentino & Jimeno, Juan F., . "The Role of the Minimum Wage in the Welfare State : An Appraisal," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3267, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Orszag, Jonathan Michael & Snower, Dennis J., 2000. "The effectiveness of employment vouchers : a simple approach," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 2519, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Kishore Gawande & Usree Bandyopadhyay, 2000. "Is Protection for Sale? Evidence on the Grossman-Helpman Theory of Endogenous Protection," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 139-152, February.
- Alesina, Alberto & Rodrik, Dani, 1994.
"Distributive Politics and Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(2), pages 465-90, May.
- Alberto Alesina & Dani Rodrik, 1991. "Distributive Politics and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 3668, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Rodrik, Dani, 1991. "Distributive Politics and Economic Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 565, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rodrik, Dani & Alesina, Alberto, 1994. "Distributive Politics and Economic Growth," Scholarly Articles 4551798, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Henry C. Simons, 1944. "Some Reflections on Syndicalism," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52, pages 1.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2000.
"The Threat to the German Welfare State,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
320, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andreas Knabe, 2009. "Marginal wage subsidies: a rent-extracting instrument for employment creation," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(4), pages 393-410, September.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 2000. "The Political Economy of Labour Market Institutions," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198293323.
- Ronnie Schöb und Joachim Weimann & Joachim Weimann, 2003. "Kombilohn: Die Magdeburger Alternative," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 4(1), pages 1-17, 02.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldbe & Giovanni Maggi, 1997.
"Protection for Sale: An Empirical Investigation,"
NBER Working Papers
5942, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adam, Antonis & Moutos, Thomas, 2006. "Minimum wages, inequality and unemployment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 170-176, August.
- Phelps, Edmund S, 1994. "Low-Wage Employment Subsidies versus the Welfare State," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 54-58, May.
- Juan J. Dolado & Florentino Felgueroso & Juan F. Jimeno, . "The Role of the Minimum Wage in the Welfare State: An Appraisal," Working Papers 2000-12, FEDEA.
- Cox, James C & Oaxaca, Ronald L, 1982. "The Political Economy of Minimum Wage Legislation," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 20(4), pages 533-55, October.
- J. Michael Orszag & Dennis J. Shower, 2000. "The Effectiveness of Employment Vouchers: A Simple Approach," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 1(4), pages 385-419, November.
- Freeman, Richard B, 1996. "The Minimum Wage as a Redistributive Tool," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 639-49, May.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2004.
"Migration and Social Replacement Incomes: How to Protect Low-Income Workers in the Industrialized Countries Against the Forces of Globalization and Market Integration,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1265, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2005. "Migration and Social Replacement Incomes: How to Protect Low-Income Workers in the Industrialized Countries Against the Forces of Globalization and Market Integration," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 375-393, August.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2005. "Migration and Social Replacement Incomes: How to Protect Low-IncomeWorkers in the Industrialized Countries against the Forces of Globalizationand Market Integration," Munich Reprints in Economics 937, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Paul De Grauwe & Pablo Rovira Kaltwasser, 2006.
"A Behavioral Finance Model of the Exchange Rate with Many Forecasting Rules,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1849, CESifo Group Munich.
- De Grauwe, Paul & Rovira Kaltwasser, Pablo, 2006. "A behavioural finance model of the exchange rate with many forecasting rules," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/103684, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.