The Rate of Return to Corporate Capital and Factor Shares: New EstimatesUsing Revised National Income Accounts and Capital Stock Data
AbstractThis paper presents new evidence on the rate of return on tangible assets in the United" States, incorporating the recently-revised national accounts as well as new estimates of the" replacement cost of the reproducible physical capital stock. The pretax return on capital in the" nonfinancial corporate sector has averaged 8.5 percent over the 1959-1996 period. The paper" also presents new estimates of the total tax burden on nonfinancial corporate capital averages 54.1 percent over this time period. For the 1990s, this tax rate corporate income taxes, corporate property taxes, and taxes on stock- and bondholders 42.1 percent of pretax profits. The average pretax rate of return for the 1990-1996 period is 8.6" percent, and the average after-tax return is 5.0 percent. Although the accounting return to" corporate capital has been higher in the mid-1990s than at any previous point in the last two" decades, the substantial volatility in the return series makes it premature to conclude that these" years represent a departure from past experience.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 6263.
Date of creation: Apr 1999
Date of revision:
Note: CF PE
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Poterba, James M., 1998. "The rate of return to corporate capital and factor shares: new estimates using revised national income accounts and capital stock data," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 211-246, June.
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- D33 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Factor Income Distribution
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Feldstein & James M. Poterba & Louis Dicks-Mireaux, 1981.
"The Effective Tax Rate and the Pretax Rate of Return,"
NBER Working Papers
0740, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin & Dicks-Mireaux, Louis & Poterba, James, 1983. "The effective tax rate and the pretax rate of return," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 129-158, July.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.