Non-Parametric Analysis of Technical Efficiency: Factors Affecting Efficiency of West Java Rice Farms
AbstractThe objectives of this analysis are to evaluate the technical and scale efficiency of rice farms in West Java and to identify determinants affecting farms’ efficiency. Further, the farm size–productivity relation is investigated. Data Envelopment Analysis is used to estimate technical efficiency scores. Additionally, Tobit regression is used to explain the variation in the efficiency scores related to farm-specific factors. I conclude that farm size is one of the most important factors of farm’s technical efficiency and that high land fragmentation was the main source of the technical inefficiency during the final period of the intensification era, known as the Green Revolution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague in its series CERGE-EI Working Papers with number wp286.
Date of creation: Jan 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 882, Politickych veznu 7, 111 21 Praha 1
Phone: (+420) 224 005 123
Fax: (+420) 224 005 333
Web page: http://www.cerge-ei.cz
More information through EDIRC
Rice farms; data envelopment analysis.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
- N55 - Economic History - - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment and Extractive Industries - - - Asia including Middle East
- O38 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Government Policy
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
- Q15 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Land Ownership and Tenure; Land Reform; Land Use; Irrigation; Agriculture and Environment
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2006-03-25 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2006-03-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2006-03-25 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdul Wadud & Ben White, 2000. "Farm household efficiency in Bangladesh: a comparison of stochastic frontier and DEA methods," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 32(13), pages 1665-1673.
- Subodh Kumar & R. Robert Russell, 2002. "Technological Change, Technological Catch-up, and Capital Deepening: Relative Contributions to Growth and Convergence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(3), pages 527-548, June.
- Barrett, Christopher B., 1996. "On price risk and the inverse farm size-productivity relationship," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 193-215, December.
- Chieko Umetsu & Thamana Lekprichakul & Ujjayant Chakravorty, 2003. "Efficiency and Technical Change in the Philippine Rice Sector: A Malmquist Total Factor Productivity Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 943-963.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 2005.
"LDC Agriculture: Non-parametric Malmquist productivity indexes,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K., 1997. "LDC agriculture: Nonparametric Malmquist productivity indexes," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 373-390, August.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 1994. "Estimation of returns to scale using data envelopment analysis: A comment," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 379-382, December.
- Viliam Druska & William C. Horrace, 2004.
"Generalized Moments Estimation for Spatial Panel Data: Indonesian Rice Farming,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 185-198.
- Viliam Druska & William C. Horrace, 2002. "Generalized Moments Estimation for Spatial Panel Data: Indonesian Rice Farming," Econometrics 0206004, EconWPA, revised 11 May 2003.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Basanta R. Dhungana & Peter L. Nuthall & Gilbert V. Nartea, 2004. "Measuring the economic inefficiency of Nepalese rice farms using data envelopment analysis," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), pages 347-369, 06.
- William C. Horrace & Peter Schmidt, 2002. "Confidence Statements for Efficiency Estimates from Stochastic Frontier Models," Econometrics 0206006, EconWPA.
- Grigorian, David A. & Manole, Vlad, 2002.
"Determinants of commercial bank performance in transition - an application of data envelopment analysis,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2850, The World Bank.
- David A Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2006. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(3), pages 497-522, September.
- David A. Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2002. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," IMF Working Papers 02/146, International Monetary Fund.
- Townsend, R. F. & Kirsten, J. & Vink, N., 1998. "Farm size, productivity and returns to scale in agriculture revisited: a case study of wine producers in South Africa," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 19(1-2), pages 175-180, September.
- Llewelyn, Richard V. & Williams, Jeffery R., 1996. "Nonparametric analysis of technical, pure technical, and scale efficiencies for food crop production in East Java, Indonesia," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 113-126, November.
- Hallam, David & Machado, Fernando, 1996. "Efficiency Analysis with Panel Data: A Study of Portuguese Dairy Farms," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(1), pages 79-93.
- Thibbotuwawa, Manoj & Mugera, Amin & White, Ben, 2013. "Production Efficiency and Technology Gap in Irrigated and Rain-fed Rice Farming Systems in Sri Lanka: Non Parametric Approach," 2013 Conference (57th), February 5-8, 2013, Sydney, Australia 152181, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Singh, Kehar & Dey, Madan Mohan & Rabbani, Abed G. & Sudhakaran, Pratheesh O. & Thapa, Ganesh, 2009. "Technical Efficiency of Freshwater Aquaculture and its Determinants in Tripura, India," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 22(2).
- Watkins, K. Bradley & Hristovska, Tatjana & Mazzanti, Ralph & Wilson, Charles E., Jr., . "Measuring Technical, Allocative, and Economic Efficiency of Rice Production in Arkansas using Data Envelopment Analysis," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 142962, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Thibbotuwawa, Manoj & Mugera, Amin W. & White, Benedict, 2012. "A Non-Parametric Analysis of Rice Production Efficiency in Sri Lanka," 2012 Conference (56th), February 7-10, 2012, Freemantle, Australia 124423, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jana Koudelkova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.