On the Price Risk and the Inverse Farm Size-Productivity Relationship
AbstractThe oft-observed inverse relationship between farm size and productivity is generally explained by labor market imperfections. Although other explanations exist (e.g., size-sensitive cropping patterns and variable soil quality), the literature ignores uncertainty as an explanation. Using a simple two-period model of an agricultural household that both produces and consumes under price uncertainty at the time labor allocation decisions are made, this paper demonstrates analytically that an inverse relationship may exist, even absent any of the more common explanations. A simple data exercise suggests the plausibility of temporal price risk as an explanation for this phenomenon.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department in its series Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers with number 369.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: Dec 1993
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 427 Lorch Street, Madison, WI 53706-1503
Web page: http://www.aae.wisc.edu/www/pub/sps/body.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Christopher BARRETT, 1993. "On The Price Risk And The Inverse Farm Size-Productivity Relationship," Staff Papers 369, University of Wisconsin Madison, AAE.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Epstein, L, 1975. "A Disaggregate Analysis of Consumer Choice under Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(5-6), pages 877-92, Sept.-Nov.
- Timmer, C Peter, 1981. "Is There "Curvature" in the Slutsky Matrix?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(3), pages 395-402, August.
- Carter, Michael R, 1984. "Identification of the Inverse Relationship between Farm Size and Productivity: An Empirical Analysis of Peasant Agricultural Production," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(1), pages 131-45, March.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1986. "The new development economics," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 257-265, February.
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea, 1985. "Farm size, land yields and the agricultural production function: An analysis for fifteen developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 513-534, April.
- Block, M K & Heineke, J M, 1973. "The Allocation of Effort under Uncertainty: The Case of Risk-averse Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(2), pages 376-85, Part I, M.
- Waterfield, Charles, 1985. "Disaggregating food consumption parameters : Designing targeted nutritional interventions," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 337-351, November.
- Bhalla, Surjit S., 1988. "Does land quality matter? : Theory and measurement," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 45-62, July.
- Pitt, Mark M, 1983. "Food Preferences and Nutrition in Rural Bangladesh," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 105-14, February.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Newbery, David M, 1989. "The Theory of Food Price Stabilisation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(398), pages 1065-82, December.
- Hans Binswanger, 1980. "Attitudes toward risk: Experimental measurement in rural india," Artefactual Field Experiments 00009, The Field Experiments Website.
- Feder, Gershon, 1985. "The relation between farm size and farm productivity : The role of family labor, supervision and credit constraints," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 297-313, August.
- Benjamin, Dwayne, 1995. "Can unobserved land quality explain the inverse productivity relationship?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 51-84, February.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J & Shalit, Haim & Schmitz, Andrew, 1980. "Consumer's Surplus, Price Instability, and Consumer Welfare," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 135-52, January.
- Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1986. "Food Poverty Profile Applied to Kenyan Smallholders," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(1), pages 115-41, October.
- Temel, Tugrul, 2011. "New facts for old debates: Farm size and productivity in US agriculture," MPRA Paper 31920, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Temel, T. & Lucas, A., 2005. "Deepening the Measuring of Technical Inefficiency in Private Farming in Georgia: Locally Parametric Regression," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 2(1), pages 115-138.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.