Minimum Wages and Employment
AbstractThis paper investigates the effect of minimum wages on employment using a panel of US state-based data. We estimate a minimalist dynamic version of the specification implied by neo-classical theory. We find statistically and economically significant effects of minimum wages on youth employment. Unlike many other studies we find also significant effects on aggregate state employment. These results re-establish the conventional wisdom as existing before the work of Card-Krueger-Katz. The paper meets the methodological criticisms of this sort of panel study made by CKK. An important econometric innovation in this paper is to produce estimates allowing for cross-sectional correlation, which offers unbiased inference and potential efficiency gains.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Performance, LSE in its series CEP Discussion Papers with number dp0497.
Date of creation: Jun 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/series.asp?prog=CEP
Minimum wages; panel data; cross sectional correlation; factor analysis.;
Other versions of this item:
- J30 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - General
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J39 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neumark, David & Wascher, William, 1995.
"Minimum Wage Effects on Employment and School Enrollment,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(2), pages 199-206, April.
- David Neumark & William Wascher, 1994. "Minimum Wage Effects on Employment and School Enrollment," NBER Working Papers 4679, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burgess, Simon & Turon, Hélène, 2000.
"Unemployment Dynamics, Duration and Equilibrium: Evidence from Britain,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2490, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simon Burgess & H Turon, 2000. "Unemployment Dynamics, Duration and Equilibrium: Evidence from Britain," CEP Discussion Papers dp0474, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Brown, Charles & Gilroy, Curtis & Kohen, Andrew, 1982. "The Effect of the Minimum Wage on Employment and Unemployment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(2), pages 487-528, June.
- Stephen Nickell & Glenda Quintini, 2001.
"Nominal Wage Rigidity and the Rate of Inflation,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0489, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Donald Robertson & James Symons, 2000. "Factor Residuals in SUR Regressions: Estimating Panels Allowing for Cross Sectional Correlation," CEP Discussion Papers dp0473, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Stephen Nickell & John Van Reenen, 2001. "Technological Innovation and Performance in the United Kingdom," CEP Discussion Papers dp0488, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Anderson, T. W. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Formulation and estimation of dynamic models using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-82, January.
- Grubb, David & Symons, James, 1987. "Bias in Regressions With a Lagged Dependent Variable," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 371-386, June.
- David Neumark & William Wascher, 1992. "Employment effects of minimum and subminimum wages: Panel data on state minimum wage laws," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 46(1), pages 55-81, October.
- Pia M. Orrenius & Madeline Zavodny, 2008.
"The effect of minimum wages on immigrants' employment and earnings,"
0805, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Orrenius, Pia M. & Zavodny, Madeline, 2008. "The Effect of Minimum Wages on Immigrants’ Employment and Earnings," IZA Discussion Papers 3499, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Calavrezo, Oana & Pelek, Selin, 2011. "Qui sont les salariés payés au niveau du salaire minimum? Une analyse empirique à partir de données turques," GIAM Working Papers 11-2, Galatasaray University Economic Research Center, revised 13 Feb 2011.
- David Neumark & William Wascher, 2006.
"Minimum Wages and Employment: A Review of Evidence from the New Minimum Wage Research,"
060708, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2007.
- David Neumark & William Wascher, 2006. "Minimum Wages and Employment: A Review of Evidence from the New Minimum Wage Research," NBER Working Papers 12663, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jellal, Mohamed, 2012.
"Maroc salaire minimum emploi et pauvreté
[Morocco minimum wage employment and poverty]," MPRA Paper 38491, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.