A Non-parametric analysis of ERM exchange rate fundamentals
AbstractIn this paper we present evidence concerning the number of common stochastic trends in three major ERM exchange rates. The results indicate the presence of a single common trend driving these currencies and from this we suggest that the common trend can be considered as the ERM non-parametric fundamentals for the three selected currencies. Using a non-parametric technique, the Alternating Conditional Expectations (ACE) algorithm, we obtain evidence of the existence of non-linearities for two out of three currencies with a functional form, related to the estimated non-parametric fundamentals, close to the S-shape given by the basic target zone model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centro de Estudios Andaluces in its series Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces with number E2004/25.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Exchange rate fundamentals; target zones; common trends; ACE algorithm;
Other versions of this item:
- José Torres, 2007. "A non-parametric analysis of ERM exchange rate fundamentals," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 67-84, April.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Flood, Robert P. & Rose, Andrew K., 1995.
"Fixing exchange rates A virtual quest for fundamentals,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 3-37, August.
- Robert P. Flood & Andrew K. Rose, 1993. "Fixing Exchange Rates: A Virtual Quest for Fundamentals," NBER Working Papers 4503, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flood, Robert P & Rose, Andrew K, 1993. "Fixing Exchange Rates: A Virtual Quest for Fundamentals," CEPR Discussion Papers 838, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Flood, R.P. & Rose, A.K., 1992. "Fixing Exchange Rates: A Virtual Quest for Fundamentals," Papers 529, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Robert P. Flood & Andrew K. Rose & Donald J. Mathieson, 1990.
"An Empirical Exploration of Exchange Rate Target-Zones,"
NBER Working Papers
3543, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flood, Robert P. & Rose, Andrew K. & Mathieson, Donald J., 1991. "An empirical exploration of exchange-rate target-zones," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 7-65, January.
- Donald J. Mathieson & Robert P. Flood & Andrew K. Rose, 1991. "An Empirical Exploration of Exchange Rate Target-Zones," IMF Working Papers 91/15, International Monetary Fund.
- Richard A. Meese & Andrew K. Rose, 1989.
"An empirical assessment of non-linearities in models of exchange rate determination,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
367, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Meese, Richard A & Rose, Andrew K, 1991. "An Empirical Assessment of Non-linearities in Models of Exchange Rate Determination," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 603-19, May.
- Lindberg, H. & Soderlind, P., 1991. "Testing the Basic Target Zone Model on Swedish Data," Papers 488, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- De Jong , F., 1991.
"A Univariate Analysis of EMS Exchange Rates Using a Target Zone Model,"
9155, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- de Jong, F, 1994. "A Univariate Analysis of EMS Exchange Rates Using a Target Zone Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 31-45, Jan.-Marc.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Ma, Yue & Kanas, Angelos, 2000. "Testing for nonlinear Granger causality from fundamentals to exchange rates in the ERM," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 69-82, January.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression,"
Cahiers de recherche
8633, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Taylor, Mark P, 1991.
"Exchange Rates, Policy Convergence, and the European Monetary System,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 73(3), pages 553-58, August.
- R Macdonald & M P Taylor, . "Exchange Rates, Policy Convergence And The European Monetary System," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 020, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Taylor, Mark P, 1990. "Exchange Rates, Policy Convergence and the European Monetary System," CEPR Discussion Papers 444, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Tom Doan, . "KPSS: RATS procedure to perform KPSS (Kwiatowski, Phillips, Schmidt, and Shin) stationarity test," Statistical Software Components RTS00100, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ma, Yue & Kanas, Angelos, 2000. "Testing for a nonlinear relationship among fundamentals and exchange rates in the ERM," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 135-152, February.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1988.
"Target Zones and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
2481, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1992. "Common stochastic trends in international stock markets," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 95-124, February.
- Jong, F.C.J.M. de, 1994. "A univariate analysis of EMS exchange rates using a target zone model," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-384515, Tilburg University.
- Meese, Richard A & Rose, Andrew K, 1990. "Nonlinear, Nonparametric, Nonessential Exchange Rate Estimation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 192-96, May.
- Ng, S. & Perron, P., 1994.
"Unit Root Tests ARMA Models with Data Dependent Methods for the Selection of the Truncation Lag,"
Cahiers de recherche
9423, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Ng, S. & Perron, P., 1994. "Unit Root Tests ARMA Models with Data Dependent Methods for the Selection of the Truncation Lag," Cahiers de recherche 9423, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Iannizzotto, Matteo, 2001. "On the mean-reverting properties of target zone exchange rates: a cautionary note," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 117-129, April.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Baillie, Richard T & Bollerslev, Tim, 1989. " Common Stochastic Trends in a System of Exchange Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 167-81, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Teresa Rodríguez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.