A tail of two countries
AbstractThe outlook for two of the euro areaÂ?s best performing economies to date, Ireland and Spain, has darkened dramatically recently amid severe downturns in housing markets. What do these countriesÂ? experiences tell us about the functioning of EMU? BruegelÂ?s new policy brief Â?A Tail of Two CountriesÂ? examines the behaviour of housing markets in Ireland and Spain during EMU and considers what features and policies may have facilitated the overheating of housing markets in these countries. It also discusses the role of large migration flows in spurring growth in housing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bruegel in its series Policy Briefs with number 6.
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2004.
"A Meta-Analytic Assessment of the Effect of Immigration on Wages,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
04-134/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2005. "A Meta-Analytic Assessment of the Effect of Immigration on Wages," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 451-477, 07.
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2004. "A Meta-Analytic Assessment of the Effect of Immigration on Wages," Population Studies Centre Discussion Papers dp-47, University of Waikato, Population Studies Centre.
- Miller, Marcus & Sutherland, Alan, 1990.
"The `Walters' Critique of the EMS: A Case of Inconsistent Expectations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
480, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Miller, Marcus & Sutherland, Alan, 1991. "The "Walters Critique" of the EMS--A Case of Inconsistent Expectations?," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 59(0), pages 23-37, Supplemen.
- Miller, M & Sutherland, A, 1990. "The 'Walters Critique' of the EMS - A Case of Inconsistent Expectations," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 363, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Kirsanova, Tatiana & Vines, David & Wren-Lewis, Simon, 2006. "Fiscal Policy and Macroeconomic Stability Within a Currency Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 5584, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2006.
"Rethinking the Effects of Immigration on Wages,"
NBER Working Papers
12497, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovanni Peri & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2006. "Rethinking the Effects of Immigration on Wages," Working Papers 634, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco I. P. & Peri, Giovanni, 2007. "Rethinking the effects of immigration on wages," HWWI Research Papers 3-8, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Alan Ahearne & Brigit Schmitz & Jürgen von Hagen, 2007. "Current Account Imbalances in the Euro Area (draft version)," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0345, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Saiz, Albert, 2006.
"Immigration and Housing Rents in American Cities,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2189, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paul van den Noord, 2005.
"Tax Incentives and House Price Volatility in the Euro Area: Theory and Evidence,"
CEPII research center, issue 101, pages 29-45.
- Paul van den Noord, 2003. "Tax Incentives and House Price Volatility in the Euro Area: Theory and Evidence," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 356, OECD Publishing.
- Alan Ahearne & Herbert Brücker & Zsolt Darvas & Jakob von Weizsäcker, 2009.
"Cyclical dimensions of labour mobility after EU enlargement,"
0902, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest, revised 25 May 2009.
- Alan Ahearne & Herbert BrÃ¼cker & Zsolt Darvas & Jakob von WeizsÃ¤cker, 2009. "Cyclical dimensions of labour mobility after EU Enlargement," Working Papers 305, Bruegel.
- Alan Ahearne & Herbert Brcker & Zsolt Darvas & Jakob von Weizs„cker, 2009. "Cyclical Dimensions of Labour Mobility after EU Enlargement," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0910, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2012. "The euro crisis: ten roots, but fewer solutions," Policy Contributions 755, Bruegel.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2011. "Exchange Rate Policy and Economic Growth after the Financial Crisis in Central and Eastern Europe," Working Papers 1103, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruegel).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.