The Impact of Immigration on the Geographic Mobility of New Zealanders
AbstractThis paper uses data from the New Zealand Census to examine how the supply of recent migrants in particular skill groups affects the geographic mobility of the New Zealand-born and earlier migrants. We identify the impact of recent migration on mobility using the 'areaanalysis' approach, which exploits the fact that immigration is spatially concentrated, and thus a change in the local supply of migrants in a particular skill group should have an impact on the mobility of similarly skilled non-migrants in that local labour market. Overall, our results provide little support for the hypothesis that migrant inflows displace either the NZ-born or earlier migrants with similar skills in the areas that new migrants are settling. If anything, they suggest that there are positive spillovers between recent migrants and other individuals that encourage individuals to move to or remain in the areas in which similarly skilled migrants are settling. Thus, it appears unlikely that internal mobility moderates any potential impacts of immigration on labour or housing markets in New Zealand.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Motu Economic and Public Policy Research in its series Working Papers with number 07_05.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2007
Date of revision:
Immigration; Mobility; New Zealand; Labour Market Areas;
Other versions of this item:
- David C. Mar� & Steven Stillman, 2010. "The Impact of Immigration on the Geographic Mobility of New Zealanders," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 86(273), pages 247-259, 06.
- Steven Stillman & David Mare, 2007. "The Impact of Immigration on the Geographic Mobility of New Zealanders," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0714, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2007-05-12 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-MIG-2007-05-12 (Economics of Human Migration)
- NEP-URE-2007-05-12 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saiz, Albert, 2006.
"Immigration and Housing Rents in American Cities,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2189, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Card, David, 2001.
"Immigrant Inflows, Native Outflows, and the Local Labor Market Impacts of Higher Immigration,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(1), pages 22-64, January.
- David Card, 1997. "Immigrant Inflows, Native Outflows, and the Local Labor Market Impacts of Higher Immigration," NBER Working Papers 5927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2004.
"A Meta-Analytic Assessment of the Effect of Immigration on Wages,"
Population Studies Centre Discussion Papers
dp-47, University of Waikato, Population Studies Centre.
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2005. "A Meta-Analytic Assessment of the Effect of Immigration on Wages," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 451-477, 07.
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2004. "A Meta-Analytic Assessment of the Effect of Immigration on Wages," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-134/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Patrick Bayer & Robert McMillan, 2005. "Racial Sorting and Neighborhood Quality," NBER Working Papers 11813, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Abowd & Richard B. Freeman, 1991. "Immigration, Trade and the Labor Market," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number abow91-1, October.
- Mary Kritz & Douglas Gurak, 2001. "The impact of immigration on the internal migration of natives and immigrants," Demography, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 133-145, February.
- James H. Stock & Motohiro Yogo, 2002. "Testing for Weak Instruments in Linear IV Regression," NBER Technical Working Papers 0284, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borjas, George J., 1999. "The economic analysis of immigration," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 28, pages 1697-1760 Elsevier.
- Papps, Kerry L. & Newell, James O., 2002. "Identifying Functional Labour Market Areas in New Zealand: A Reconnaissance Study Using Travel-to-Work Data," IZA Discussion Papers 443, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- George J. Borjas & Richard B. Friedman & Lawrence F. Katz, 1997. "How Much Do Immigration and Trade Affect Labor Market Outcomes?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(1), pages 1-90.
- Bartel, Ann P, 1989. "Where Do the New U.S. Immigrants Live?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(4), pages 371-91, October.
- George J. Borjas, 2003.
"The Labor Demand Curve is Downward Sloping: Reexamining the Impact of Immigration on the Labor Market,"
NBER Working Papers
9755, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George J. Borjas, 2003. "The Labor Demand Curve Is Downward Sloping: Reexamining The Impact Of Immigration On The Labor Market," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(4), pages 1335-1374, November.
- George J. Borjas, 2005. "Native Internal Migration and the Labor Market Impact of Immigration," NBER Working Papers 11610, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David C Maré & Wai Kin Choy, 2001. "Regional Labour Market Adjustment and the Movements of People: A Review," Treasury Working Paper Series 01/08, New Zealand Treasury.
- Rob Hodgson & Jacques Poot, 2011. "New Zealand Research on the Economic Impacts of Immigration 2005-2010: Synthesis and Research Agenda," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 1104, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Jacques Poot, 2009. "Trans-Tasman Migration, Transnationalism and Economic Development in Australasia," Working Papers 09_05, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Jiong Tu, 2007.
"The Impact of Immigration on the Labour Market Outcomes of Native-born Canadians,"
Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers
216, McMaster University.
- Tu, Jiong, 2010. "The Impact of Immigration on the Labour Market Outcomes of Native-Born Canadians," IZA Discussion Papers 5129, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Giulietti, Corrado, 2009. "Immigration and displacement across local labour markets," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0917, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tui Head).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.