The Euro-changeoverand Euro-inflation: Evidence from Eurostat's HICP
AbstractThough anecdotal evidence suggests that retail price inflation increased temporarily in January 2002 when Euro notes and coins were introduced, the evidence from official statistics largely refutes this. We test for the presence of a sudden temporary increase in inflation for Euro-changeover countries. We use the countries that did not join the Euro: Denmark, Sweden and the UK; as a control group. Though the results are sensitive to the estimation method, we do uncover weak evidence of a minor increase in aggregate inflation in January 2002 for the countries that did join the Euro. Similar tests for the Restaurant sector find a strong Euro-changeover effect on temporary inflation. Summary tests for 129 other price sub-categories are also discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Birmingham in its series Discussion Papers with number 06-03.
Length: 53 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2006
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- D84 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Expectations; Speculations
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
- L89 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-06-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2006-06-03 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2006-06-03 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2006-06-03 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2006-06-03 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C.K. Folkertsma, 2001. "The Euro and Psychological Prices: Simulations of the Worst-Case Scenario," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 659, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988.
"Seasonal, Integration And Cointegration,"
6-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Bart Hobijn & Federico Ravenna & Andrea Tambalotti, 2004.
"Menu costs at work: restaurant prices and the introduction of the euro,"
195, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Bart Hobijn & Federico Ravenna & Andrea Tambalotti, 2006. "Menu Costs at Work: Restaurant Prices and the Introduction of the Euro," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 121(3), pages 1103-1131, 08.
- Bart Hobijn & Andrea Tanbalotti & Federico Ravenna, 2005. "Menu Costs at Work: Restaurant Prices and the Introduction of the Euro," 2005 Meeting Papers 659, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Angelini, Paolo & Lippi, Francesco, 2005.
"Did Inflation Really Soar After the Euro Cash Changeover? Indirect Evidence from ATM Withdrawals,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4950, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paolo Angelini & Francesco Lippi, 2006. "Did inflation really soar after the euro cash changeover? Indirect evidence from ATM withdrawals," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 581, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Eugenio Gaiotti & Francesco Lippi, 2005.
"Pricing behavior and the introduction of the euro: evidence from a panel of restaurants,"
0501029, EconWPA, revised 15 Feb 2005.
- Gaiotti, Eugenio & Lippi, Francesco, 2005. "Pricing Behaviour and the Introduction of the Euro: Evidence from a Panel of Restaurants," CEPR Discussion Papers 4893, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Osborn, Denise R, et al, 1988. "Seasonality and the Order of Integration for Consumption," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 50(4), pages 361-77, November.
- Anderton, Robert & Richard E Baldwin & Daria Taglioni, 2003.
"The Impact of Monetary Union on Trade Prices,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
5, Royal Economic Society.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- V. Bhaskar, 2002.
"On Endogenously Staggered Prices,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 69(1), pages 97-116.
- Forsells, Magnus & Kenny, Geoff, 2002. "The rationality of consumers' inflation expectations: survey-based evidence for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0163, European Central Bank.
- J. Joseph Beaulieu & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1992.
"Seasonal Unit Roots in Aggregate U.S. Data,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0126, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giancarlo Marini & Fabrizio Adriani & Pasquale Scaramozzino, 2003.
"The Inflationary Consequences of a Currency Changeover: Evidence from the Michelin Red Guide,"
CEIS Research Paper
27, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Fabrizio Adriani & Giancarlo Marini & Pasquale Scaramozzino, 2004. "The Inflationary Consequences Of A Currency Changeover: Evidence From The Michelin Red Guide," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 45, Royal Economic Society.
- Giovanni Mastrobuoni & Wioletta Dziuda, 2005.
"The Euro Changeover and its Effects on Price Transparency and Inflation,"
Carlo Alberto Notebooks
26, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2006.
- Wioletta Dziuda & Giovanni Mastrobuoni, 2009. "The Euro Changeover and Its Effects on Price Transparency and Inflation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(1), pages 101-129, 02.
- Isabell Koske, 2011. "Price effects of the euro cash changeover: the role of product market competition," Empirica, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 223-230, May.
- Thomas A. Eife, 2006. "Price setting behaviour and price setting regulations at the euro changeover," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2006-06, Bank of Estonia, revised 12 Oct 2006.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colin Rowat).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.