The Euro Changeover and Its Effects on Price Transparency and Inflation
AbstractDespite the expectations of economists that the euro changeover would have no effect on prices, European consumers perceived the opposite. To shed some light on this puzzle, we develop a model of imperfect information in which cheaper goods experience higher price growth after the changeover. Retailers, aware of consumers' difficulties in adopting the new currency, use currency changeovers to increase profits by increasing prices. The lower the price transparency after the changeover, the higher the euro-related inflation. Using data on inflation (Eurostat) and price levels (Economist Intelligence Unit), we show that although the euro changeover did not significantly increase inflation, it nevertheless had a distortionary effect on prices. After the changeover, cheaper goods had higher inflation, and this effect was stronger in countries in which people found dealing with the new currency problematic. Copyright (c) 2009 The Ohio State University.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 41 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
Other versions of this item:
- Giovanni Mastrobuoni & Wioletta Dziuda, 2005. "The Euro Changeover and its Effects on Price Transparency and Inflation," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 26, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2006.
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franco Mostacci & Roberto Sabbatini, 2003. "L 'euro ha creato inflazione? Changeover e arrotondamenti dei prezzi al consumo in Italia nel 2002," Moneta e Credito, Economia civile, vol. 56(221), pages 45-95.
- Fabrizio Adriani & Giancarlo Marini & Pasquale Scaramozzino, 2004.
"The Inflationary Consequences Of A Currency Changeover: Evidence From The Michelin Red Guide,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004
45, Royal Economic Society.
- Giancarlo Marini & Fabrizio Adriani & Pasquale Scaramozzino, 2003. "The Inflationary Consequences of a Currency Changeover: Evidence from the Michelin Red Guide," CEIS Research Paper 27, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Salop, Steven & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Bargains and Ripoffs: A Model of Monopolistically Competitive Price Dispersion,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 493-510, October.
- Steven Salop & Joseph Stiglitz, 1977. "Bargains and ripoffs: a model of monopolistically competitive price dispersion," Special Studies Papers 94, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Diamond, Peter A., 1971. "A model of price adjustment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 156-168, June.
- Angelini, Paolo & Lippi, Francesco, 2005.
"Did Inflation Really Soar After the Euro Cash Changeover? Indirect Evidence from ATM Withdrawals,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4950, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paolo Angelini & Francesco Lippi, 2006. "Did inflation really soar after the euro cash changeover? Indirect evidence from ATM withdrawals," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 581, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Bart Hobijn & Federico Ravenna & Andrea Tambalotti, 2004.
"Menu costs at work: restaurant prices and the introduction of the euro,"
195, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Bart Hobijn & Federico Ravenna & Andrea Tambalotti, 2006. "Menu Costs at Work: Restaurant Prices and the Introduction of the Euro," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 121(3), pages 1103-1131, 08.
- Bart Hobijn & Andrea Tanbalotti & Federico Ravenna, 2005. "Menu Costs at Work: Restaurant Prices and the Introduction of the Euro," 2005 Meeting Papers 659, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gaiotti, Eugenio & Lippi, Francesco, 2005.
"Pricing Behaviour and the Introduction of the Euro: Evidence from a Panel of Restaurants,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4893, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eugenio Gaiotti & Francesco Lippi, 2005. "Pricing behavior and the introduction of the euro: evidence from a panel of restaurants," Macroeconomics 0501029, EconWPA, revised 15 Feb 2005.
- Luc Aucremann & David Cornille, 2001. "Attractive prices and euro-rounding effects on inflation," Working Paper Document 17, National Bank of Belgium.
- Luis J. Álvarez & Ignacio Hernando, 2006. "Competition and price adjustment in the euro area," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0629, Banco de Espa�a.
- Marco G. Ercolani & Jayasri Dutta, 2006. "The Euro-changeoverand Euro-inflation: Evidence from Eurostat's HICP," Discussion Papers 06-03, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Fabiani, Silvia & Loupias, Claire & Martins, Fernando & Sabbatini, Roberto (ed.), 2007. "Pricing Decisions in the Euro Area: How Firms Set Prices and Why," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195309287.
- Aucremanne, L. & Cornille, D., 2001. "Attractive Prices and Euro-Rounding Effects on Inflation," Papers 17, Warwick - Development Economics Research Centre.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.