Evaluation and comparison of European countries: public opinion on services
AbstractWe propose the setting-up of an indicator for classifying European countries with relation to consumers' satisfaction for services of general interest. Services considered are fixed telephone service, electricity supply, railways and postal service. The reference data set is the 2002 Standard Eurobarometer database (EB58) and it refers to EU members before 2004 enlargement. The proposed indicator is based on nonlinear principal component analysis and supplies a measure for the citizen's satisfaction. Its robustness is verified by a Monte Carlo approach. The level of satisfaction is eventually used for country comparison and for detecting possible hotspots, in order to support decision making policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitá degli Studi di Milano in its series UNIMI - Research Papers in Economics, Business, and Statistics with number unimi-1058.
Date of creation: 26 Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Conservatorio 7 - 20122 Milano
Phone: +39 02 503 16486
Fax: +39 02 503 16475
Web page: http://services.bepress.com/unimi
More information through EDIRC
Services of General Interest; Dissatisfaction Index; Nonlinear Principal Component Analysis; Robustness Analysis; Bootstrap Methods;
Other versions of this item:
- Pier Ferrari & Paola Annoni & Giancarlo Manzi, 2010. "Evaluation and comparison of European countries: public opinion on services," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 44(6), pages 1191-1205, October.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Freeman, Richard B, 1978.
"Job Satisfaction as an Economic Variable,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 135-41, May.
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
- Tenenhaus, Michel & Vinzi, Vincenzo Esposito & Chatelin, Yves-Marie & Lauro, Carlo, 2005. "PLS path modeling," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 159-205, January.
- Sendhil Mullainathan & Marianne Bertrand, 2001. "Do People Mean What They Say? Implications for Subjective Survey Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 67-72, May.
- Carlo Fiorio & M. Florio & S. Salini & P. Ferrari, 2007. "Consumers’ Attitudes on Services of General Interest in the EU: Accessibility, Price and Quality 2000-2004," Working Papers 2007.2, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Pier Ferrari & Silvia Salini, 2011. "Complementary Use of Rasch Models and Nonlinear Principal Components Analysis in the Assessment of the Opinion of Europeans About Utilities," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 53-69, April.
- Pier Ferrari & Laura Pagani & Carlo Fiorio, 2011. "A Two-Step Approach to Analyze Satisfaction Data," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 104(3), pages 545-554, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.