Entry decisions and adverse selection: an empirical analysis of a local credit markets
AbstractDuring the last decades there has been a widespread relaxation of legal entry barriers into the banking industry, with potential benefits for financial integration and competition. Obstacles to banks' geographical and business expansion have been removed and branching has been substantially liberalized. This paper analyzes the determinants of entry decisions into local credit markets using a unique data set before and after deregulation of the Italian banking industry. We estimate an entry model Ã la Poisson and find evidence that spreads between loan and deposit rates drive entry only for newly chartered banks, but does not affect the decision to open branches of banks operating in other markets. Branching by outside banks is instead positively correlated with business opportunities in the provision of financial services which do not require the acquisition of substantial proprietary information. Both these results are consistent with the hypothesis that in credit markets incumbents have an informational advantage over new entrants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area in its series Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) with number 535.
Date of creation: Dec 2004
Date of revision:
Entry; deregulation; informational barriers; count data; overdispersion;
Other versions of this item:
- Giorgio Gobbi & Francesca Lotti, 2004. "Entry Decisions and Adverse Selection: An Empirical Analysis of Local Credit Markets," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 225-244, December.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-07-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2005-07-03 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ENT-2005-07-03 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-FIN-2005-07-03 (Finance)
- NEP-GEO-2005-07-03 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-IND-2005-07-03 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-TID-2005-07-03 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
- NEP-URE-2005-07-03 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Degryse, Hans & Ongena, S, 2002.
"Distance, lending relationships and competition,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/121585, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2003. "Distance, Lending Relationships, and Competition," Discussion Paper 2003-123, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2002. "Distance, Lending Relationships and Competition," Discussion Paper 2002-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Hans Degryse & Steven Ongena, 2002. "Distance, Lending Relationships, and Competition," CSEF Working Papers 80, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Degryse, Hans & Ongena, S, 2005. "Distance, lending relationships, and competition," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/101442, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Sherril Shaffer, 1997.
"The winner's curse in banking,"
97-25, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Goldberg, Lawrence G. & White, Lawrence J., 1998.
"De novo banks and lending to small businesses: An empirical analysis,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 851-867, August.
- Lawrence G. Goldberg & Lawrence J. White, 1997. "De Novo Banks and Lending to Small Businesses: An Empirical Analysis," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 98-039, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Besanko, David & Thakor, Anjan V., 1992. "Banking deregulation: Allocational consequences of relaxing entry barriers," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 909-932, September.
- Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Marquez, Robert, 2004. "Information and bank credit allocation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 185-214, April.
- Marcello Bofondi & Giorgio Gobbi, 2004. "Bad Loans and Entry into Local Credit Markets," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 509, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Bonaccorsi di Patti, Emilia & Gobbi, Giorgio, 2001. "The changing structure of local credit markets: Are small businesses special?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2209-2237, December.
- Robert Marquez, 2002. "Competition, Adverse Selection, and Information Dispersion in the Banking Industry," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 901-926.
- Vives, Xavier, 1991. "Regulatory reform in European banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(2-3), pages 505-515, April.
- Focarelli, Dario & Pozzolo, Alberto Franco, 2003.
"Where Do Banks Expand Abroad? An Empirical Analysis,"
Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers
esdp03009, University of Molise, Dept. SEGeS.
- Dario Focarelli & Alberto Franco Pozzolo, 2005. "Where Do Banks Expand Abroad? An Empirical Analysis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(6), pages 2435-2464, November.
- Michael H. Riordan, 1992. "Competition and Bank Performance: A Theoretical Perspective," Papers 0026, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Enrico Santarelli, 2000. "The duration of new firms in banking: an application of Cox regression analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 315-325.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 2002.
"Small Business Credit Availability and Relationship Lending: The Importance of Bank Organisational Structure,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(477), pages F32-F53, February.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 2001. "Small business credit availability and relationship lending: the importance of bank organizational structure," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-36, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Emilia Bonaccorsi Di Patti & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 2003.
"Bank competition and firm creation,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
481, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan V, 2001.
"The Many Faces of Information Disclosure,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(4), pages 1021-57.
- Rajan, Raghuram G, 1992. " Insiders and Outsiders: The Choice between Informed and Arm's-Length Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1367-400, September.
- Paola Maggiolini & Paolo Mistrulli, 2005. "A survival analysis of de novo co-operative credit banks," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 359-378, 09.
- Felici Roberto & Pagnini Marcello, 2005. "Distance, bank heterogeneity and entry in local banking markets," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 557, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Massimiliano Affinito & Matteo Piazza, 2008. "What are borders made of? An analysis of barriers to European banking integration," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 666, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Lorenzo Ciari & Riccardo De Bonis, 2011. "Entry decisions after deregulation: the role of incumbents' market power," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 50, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Massimo Libertucci & Francesco Piersante, 2012. "Start-up banks’ default and the role of capital," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 890, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Crawfordy, Gregory S & Pavaniniz, Nicola & Schivardi, Fabiano, 2013. "Asymmetric Information and Imperfect Competition in the Loan Market," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 166, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Marco Valentini, 2006. "Ristrutturazione del sistema creditizio, piccole e medie imprese e crescita economica nel mezzogiorno," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0065, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- H. Evren Damar, 2009. "A Lesson Learned? Pre- And Postcrisis Entry Decisions In Turkish Banking," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 27(1), pages 97-108, 01.
- Valerio Vacca, 2011. "An unexpected crisis? Looking at pricing effectiveness of different banks," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 814, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.