Selection of Optimal Lag Length in Cointegrated VAR Models with Weak Form of Common Cyclical Features
AbstractAn important aspect of empirical research based on the vector autoregressive (VAR) model is the choice of the lag order, since all inference in the VAR model depends on the correct model specification. Literature has shown important studies of how to select the lag order of a nonstationary VAR model subject to cointegration restrictions. In this work, we consider an additional weak form (WF) restriction of common cyclical features in the model in order to analyze the appropriate way to select the correct lag order. Two methodologies have been used: the traditional information criteria (AIC, HQ and SC) and an alternative criterion (IC(p,s)) which select simultaneously the lag order p and the rank structure s due to the WF restriction. A Monte-Carlo simulation is used in the analysis. The results indicate that the cost of ignoring additional WF restrictions in vector autoregressive modeling can be high, especially when SC criterion is used.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department in its series Working Papers Series with number 139.
Date of creation: Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bcb.gov.br/?english
Other versions of this item:
- Carrasco Gutierrez, Carlos Enrique & Castro Souza, Reinaldo & Teixeira de Carvalho Guillén, Osmani, 2009. "Selection of optimal lag length in cointegrated VAR models with weak form of common cyclical features," MPRA Paper 22550, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlos Enrique Carrasco Gutierrez & Reinaldo Castro Souza & Osmani Teixeira de Carvalho Guillén, 2009. "Selection of Optimal Lag Length in Cointegrated VAR Models with Weak Form of Common Cyclical Features," Fucape Working Papers 16, Fucape Business School.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-07-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2007-07-27 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2007-07-27 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FOR-2007-07-27 (Forecasting)
- NEP-MAC-2007-07-27 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert F. Engle & Sharon Kozicki, 1990.
"Testing For Common Features,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0091, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Braun, Phillip A. & Mittnik, Stefan, 1993. "Misspecifications in vector autoregressions and their effects on impulse responses and variance decompositions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 319-341, October.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria, 1997. "Common features and output fluctuations in the United Kingdom," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-9, January.
- Vahid, F. & Issler, J.V., 2001.
"The Importance Of Common Cyclical Features in VAR Analysis: A Monte-Carlo Study,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
2/01, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Vahid, Farshid & Issler, Joao Victor, 2002. "The importance of common cyclical features in VAR analysis: a Monte-Carlo study," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 341-363, August.
- Vahid, Farshid & Issler, João Victor, 2001. "The Importance of Common Cyclical Features in VAR Analysis: A Monte-Carlo Study," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 417, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Alain Hecq & Franz Palm & Jean-Pierre Urbain, 2001. "Testing for Common Cyclical Features in Var Models with Cointegration," CESifo Working Paper Series 451, CESifo Group Munich.
- Marco Centoni & Gianluca Cubadda & Alain Hecq, 2008.
"Common Shocks, Common Dynamics, and the International Business Cycle,"
CEIS Research Paper
106, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 07 Jul 2008.
- Centoni, Marco & Cubadda, Gianluca & Hecq, Alain, 2007. "Common shocks, common dynamics, and the international business cycle," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 149-166, January.
- Centoni, Marco & Cubadda, Gianluca & Hecq, Alain, 2003. "Common Shocks, Common Dynamics, and the International Business Cycle," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp03007, University of Molise, Dept. EGSeI.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Osmani Teixeira de Carvalho Guillén & João Victor Issler & George Athanasopoulos, 2006.
"Forecasting Accuracy and Estimation Uncertainty using VAR Models with Short- and Long-Term Economic Restrictions: A Monte-Carlo Study,"
IBMEC RJ Economics Discussion Papers
2006-01, Economics Research Group, IBMEC Business School - Rio de Janeiro.
- Osmani Teixeira de Carvalho Guillén & João Victor Issler & George Athanasopoulos, 2005. "Forecasting Accuracy and Estimation Uncertainty Using VAR Models with Short- and Long-Term Economic Restrictions: A Monte-Carlo Study," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 15/05, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Athanasopoulos, George & Issler, João Victor & Guillén, Osmani Teixeira de Carvalho, 2005. "Forecasting Accuracy and Estimation Uncertainty using VAR Models with Short- and Long-Term Economic Restrictions: A Monte-Carlo Study," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 589, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Engle, Robert F & Kozicki, Sharon, 1993. "Testing for Common Features: Reply," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(4), pages 393-95, October.
- Ronald Bewley & Minxian Yang, 1998.
"On The Size And Power Of System Tests For Cointegration,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 675-679, November.
- Bewley, R. & Yang, M., 1996. "On the Size and Power of System Tests for Cointegration," Papers 96/9, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Kilian, Lutz, 2001. "Impulse Response Analysis in Vector Autoregressions with Unknown Lag Order," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(3), pages 161-79, April.
- Gonzalo, Jesus, 1994. "Five alternative methods of estimating long-run equilibrium relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 203-233.
- Engle, Robert F. & Issler, Joao Victor, 1995. "Estimating common sectoral cycles," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 83-113, February.
- Gianluca Cubadda, 1999. "Common serial correlation and common business cycles: A cautious note," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 529-535.
- Vahid, F & Engle, Robert F, 1993. "Common Trends and Common Cycles," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 341-60, Oct.-Dec..
- Izenman, Alan Julian, 1975. "Reduced-rank regression for the multivariate linear model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 248-264, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benjamin Tabak) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Benjamin Tabak to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.